Help identifying a chuck and other accessories

Clintd

Registered
Registered
Keep in mind that I'm a novice at best and have a lot to learn. So with that said, here it goes.

I have a JET BD-1325R lathe that I've been tinkering with and I'm often asked what type of chuck am I using and what type of mount does it have, well I thought 3 jaw was enough of an answer and I thought wrong. Also I have another chuck that mounts in the tail stock with an adapter and its something I've never seen before or even know what it would be used for

Here is the chuck after I unbolted it to see what the back looked like.IMG_0243.JPGIMG_0241.JPG
And here is the picture of the tail stock chuck and the adapter. IMG_0244.JPGIMG_0245.JPG
And finally, her is a picture of my little setup in the corner of my basement.IMG_0246.JPG

The backing plate and chuck usually come off together as one unit.
You should be able to find a manual for the lathe online.
The morse taper tail stock chuck just adds options. You have a steady rest, that's great.
Youtube is a great source for learning skills and finding some answers to your questions.
Metal work is a very satisfying hobby.
Welcome, enjoy the journey.

The backing plate and chuck usually come off together as one unit.
You should be able to find a manual for the lathe online.
The morse taper tail stock chuck just adds options. You have a steady rest, that's great.
Youtube is a great source for learning skills and finding some answers to your questions.
Metal work is a very satisfying hobby.
Welcome, enjoy the journey.

Thank you, I’ve used YouTube a lot and I’ve learned quite a bit, but somethings I don’t even know how to describe in order to get relevant answers. Anyway, so I didn’t actually remove the chuck is what you’re saying? So the piece still on the headstock is part of the chuck? I’m guessing that piece screws on as I also have other parts that have a large threaded hole in the center.
292e34e52cdd02de084865bad95c52c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the tailstock chuck spin on the Morris taper. I have one, quite useful for turning pipe or sections that don't have a center hole,

Greg

Yep, thats a threaded spindle. The backing plate has threads on it that threads onto the spindle. You unbolted the adapter plate. You should be able to unscrew that from the spindle.

I can't tell by the pictures, but it might be 1 1/2-8"? If so, its really common, since hte Logans used it.

Does the tailstock chuck spin on the Morris taper. I have one, quite useful for turning pipe or sections that don't have a center hole,

Greg

Yes, It’s very smooth as well but it has an adapter to make it fit the smaller tailstock on this lathe which makes it a little awkward.

Yes the part you left on the spindle is called a backplate. The chuck is usually left bolted to it is an assembly as mentioned above. The assembly unscrews from the spindle. Please use a piece of plywood laid over the ways when changing chucks to prevent damage to the lathe. Never rest a chuck directly on the ways.
The parts that go into the tailstock have a Morse taper. Both the male taper on the tools and the female taper in the tailstock need to be kept very clean and shiny. No rust. The tools must never spin in the female socket.
Thats a good lathe you have, hope you enjoy learning to use it, let the questions fly...

Last edited:
Well, sure enough it does unscrew! I didn't think that it would on this machine specifically because it has reverse. I unscrewed it, cleaned it off and reinstalled it without any problems and yes, I put a piece of wood on the bed first.IMG_0251.JPG

Yes, It’s very smooth as well but it has an adapter to make it fit the smaller tailstock on this lathe which makes it a little awkward.

Not really awkward. Like said very useful. You can hold rotating work in the tailstock with that chuck instead of having to center drill and dead/live center or use a steady rest.

Well, sure enough it does unscrew! I didn't think that it would on this machine specifically because it has reverse.
Yup! You've discovered one of the disadvantages of a threaded lathe spindle. My lathe has a threaded spindle, too. I have run in reverse, but always used a lot of caution ... small depth of cut, etc. With practice, you can figure out how "hard" to tighten the chuck onto the spindle, and still be able to get it loose again.

One thing I've done with my chucks/faceplates is to drill & tap into the side of the "register" (the extension at the back of the plate, that sits against the spindle flange) and add a ¼-20 screw ... located so it enters behind the last thread on the spindle nose. Once the chuck is in place, I tighten the screw very lightly. Don't want to push the chuck off center. The screw will catch the end of the spindle threads if the chuck starts to unwind, and hopefully keep it from coming all the way off.

PS - if the chuck does start to unwind, do NOT panic and shift the motor all the way into forward! Just put it in neutral/stop, maybe back away, in case the chuck does come off. I once saw the result of a (professional) machinist putting his lathe into forward when the chuck started to unwind. The speed of the spindle and the momentum of the chuck slammed the chuck aginst the spindle so hard that he and several other machinists spent over a day trying to get it loose. As I recall, they finally had to use a parting tool to cut off a slice of the register on the backplate. Ruined the backplate, but the lathe and chuck were OK.

Back