Help Identifying An Air Compressor Pump

N_Jay

Registered
Registered
I picked up an old compressor and I am trying to identify the pump.
It has been painted so I can not find any model information.
The tank is stamped 1989 and the pump is stamped 86 but I am fairly sure they were originally together.
It is a 60 gallon, 2 stage 5HP 220 V unit.
The motor is probably not original. It is a Dayton motor; 6K794AE.
The tank is a BRUNNER Eng.&Mfg. from Indiana, and is 200 PSI rated.
It may have been a MATCO branded compressor based on the pressure gauge.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

It' a ROL-AIR. look for a "K" something cast in crankcase. I would guess it is a K29 or K30. Two stage. Great pump parts are easy to get. just GOOGLE Rol-Air parts.

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-pump-parts-k28-p-2691.html
https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/brands/rolair.html

fixit
I was thinking it was an earlier version of the Rol-Air 2 stage pump, probably a OEM version.
The differences I see are;
1) The crankcase ribbing on the crankcase is only on the sides not the front and back.
2) The rear crankshaft cover has a round pattern not the square of current Rol-Air pumps.
3) The fins on top of the head spread out over the low pressure cylinder.
4) The crankcase vent is on eth front corner not back corner

Is there a way to tell the displacement and/or piston size (to match with a current model for specs) without pulling the head?
I found a sheet that shows the mounting measurements. That will get it down to one or two models depending on what they are and assuming the older models kept the same footprint.

Thanks so far.

Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Did some checking and using the mounting points as a reference it seems to be a K25 pump, but a pervious generation.
Off to Rol-Air to get a manual, but at least now I know the basic specifications.

EDIT:
Rol-Air came back with an answer.
It is a previous generation K24/25 pump.
All the current generation parts fit.
They even threaded the intake and outlet so it can fit both older pipe thread connections as well as the newer flange connections.
That is thoughtful design!

Had a friend tell me they had a Rol-Air pump that was built in 1945 and running fine till last year.
Replaced with another Rol-Air when it finally broke.

I hope mine is as solid.

Last edited:
Did some checking and using the mounting points as a reference it seems to be a K25 pump, but a pervious generation.
Off to Rol-Air to get a manual, but at least now I know the basic specifications.

EDIT:
Rol-Air came back with an answer.
It is a previous generation K24/25 pump.
All the current generation parts fit.
They even threaded the intake and outlet so it can fit both older pipe thread connections as well as the newer flange connections.
That is thoughtful design!

Had a friend tell me they had a Rol-Air pump that was built in 1945 and running fine till last year.
Replaced with another Rol-Air when it finally broke.

I hope mine is as solid.
I had a repair shop Rol-Air pumps are bullet proof just change the oil now & then

Good to hear!
Assuming the tank is good, should have it running this weekend.

OK, I got some more information.
It looks like a K28 based on the size of the intercooler.
Does anyone have access to a Rol-Air (or Chinook) K28 manual or diagram from around 1986?
Thanks.

Thanks. I already downloaded those, but was hoping someone had the version that matched my pump exactly.
Although Rol-Air said the new parts will fit the old pump, there are still a number of differences.
That is why I am trying to find the older manuals.
My guess is the pump was the same for many years and somewhere between the 80's and today it was redesigned.
It used to be easy to find old information on the internet, but these days all that seem to exist is form companies selling the current version.

Intercooler.jpg
In my clean up of the pump, I found that there is an adjustable relieve valve on the bottom of the intercooler.
Unfortunately the setting screw is loose, so I am not confident that it is set correctly.
I have not found any information on what PSI the valve should be set for.
Any suggestions?
I found one internet reference that these are usually 75 PSI, but looking for better information.

Back