[Antique] Help identifying an antique dividing head

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi guys, it's been awhile since I have posted, but I have been extremely busy the last few months. Anyway, I just picked up an older dividing head, and I am in the process of disassembly and cleaning. I haven't found any model or makers marks on it yet and thought I would post it out here to see if anyone may recognize it.

The pics

dh1.jpg

dh2.jpg

as always, any help is appreciated. BTW, the plate is double sided and 5" diameter. center hole is 1.125" I haven't calculated the reduction yet, but my suspicions are 40:1 It is extremely solid in design. I haven't gotten the drive plate loose yet to determine the thread size and pitch.

I have a same or very similar dividing head, 6" swing, and also with no maker's name or other identification. I think they are probably WWII war production. The seem most similar to an Ellis, but with some differences. Mine is a really nice dividing head, and came with all the needed accessories, along with a fixture plate with tail stock for mounting on a mill and 3 and 4 jaw chucks.

Last edited:
Brown & Sharpe made one like that, I think they called it a #1, it was widely copied by others, the one Bob has is one of those.

Looks to be a keeper, in good condition, with decades of patina...
Bob, it is. very little wear on it. 1 1/2-8 threads on the spindle. the center line is 3.250, which I find a bit unusual. I was able to locate a tailstock for it at 3.250, so all good there. I am in the process of making some more indexing plates for it. My buddy has a CNC, so I'll make the plate blanks, and give him the desired hole patterns. Lastly, this has a B&S internal taper on the spindle. I am hoping to modify that into a MT3 taper since all my centers are Morse Taper.

I recommend that you buy a B&S arbor (probably #9, measure first!) for it instead of trying to machine the hardened spindle to Morse taper, which will very likely turn out to be much less than accurate compared to the existing factory taper. "First, cause no harm..." They should be available for sale, B&S tapers were common in older dividing heads.

If nothing else, buy a B&S to female straight shank adapter, commonly used on milling machines with B&S tapers. I think Victor Machinery sells them for decent prices.
They do:

Bob, thanks for the links. I'll have to look into that.

Back