[Antique] Help identifying an antique dividing head

B&S taper arbors show up on EBay and they do not go for a premium. Bob is right. Get a proper taper arbor. Don’t regrind that indexing head.
I picked up an old Burke model O bench miller. It took a B&S #7 arbor. I found a couple of arbors for it on the cheap by searching EBay.
I think one of them was a double taper collet chuck which even came with some collets. Anyway, they are out there. Not totally obsolete in my opinion. Tools-n-gizmos and Wikipedia “machine tapers” will give you all the specs to see which size you have.
Google eBay brown Sharpe 7 and/or B & S 7
( or if yours is a #9... replace that 7 with a 9 in your search ). They are out there.

I just got one of these dividing heads yesterday. Is there any taper attachments for the B&S taper to maybe go into a collet or something?

You should be able to find a collet adaptor it fit it, but most work can be done by inclining the dividing head and elevating the footstock to match the taper. A good investment is to but a copy of "practical treatise on milling and milling machines" By B&S.

I mean idk if i will ever use the taper side but it is nice to know it is there. I just don’t have anything B&S. Would be nice yo be able to have some sort of collet system for sure though just in case. I was hoping it was mt3 so i could use my 3Cs

My B&S dividing head #2 universal takes a #10 B&S taper in the spindle, and I have a collet adaptor that takes #21 B&S collets; in the many years I have had it, I have only used it once, most work I do between centers, and some chucked in the 3 jaw that came with it.

I ended up getting a 4" 3 jaw true adjust chuck with mine. I should try and find a center for it if possible

Back