Help identifying Atlas lathe

Craig, I appreciate knowing the parts that probably need maintenance right away - "the half-nuts, M6-12A, the cross-slide nut, M6-19A, and compound nut, M6-306". I understand now that this was an early model so I'm hoping pieces from the later model 618s will work.
Since your machine is over 80 years old (!!), it is quite possible that some of the parts have been replaced previously. Maybe multiple times. If so, you may well have the 'modern' versions of the corresponding parts. For example, for the new model M6-12A half-nuts, you need the M6-13A guide (which is what I didn't have). The half-nuts were increased in size from 1/2" wide to 3/4" and the appropriate change was made to the M6-13A guide bracket.

Craig

I don't have any official documents saying so but I have concluded with the 10" and 12" that each size (swing) shared the same serial number pool regardless of bed length. This makes sense for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be the significantly increased difficulty of keeping up with the various pools were it not so.

The other thing that does support it with written documentation is MMB5 on the Atlas mill. There were chronologically four models, base, A, B, and C. And as a corollary to the different length beds, there were the M1, which had manual lead screw cross feed, the MF which had power cross feed (but like the 10F, you could also run it manually, and the MH, which had lever operated cross feed and table lift. In the parts manual, it give the transition serial numbers between the base, A, B and C models. Notes at the tops of each page in the manual give the transition serial numbers for each model letter.

Plus in all of the years that I have been accumulating serial numbers for the lathes, I have never seen the same serial number used twice on the same swing lathe (6", 9", 10" or 12"). But there are two cases where different swing or size lathes have the same serial number.

And yes, I would assume that your lathe was the 516th Atlas 6" off the line. Based on the highest reported serial number, we have tentatively concluded that about 28000 612's and 618's were made. Or an average of 800 per year. We have no idea what actual [production was in any given year and don't know whether initial sales were very good or started off slow. But it is probably safe to conclude that #416 was made late in 1937 or very early in 1938.

Also, the first catalog in which the 6" appeared was probably issued in mid-1937. It shows a countershaft assembly that hung off the rear of the bed. But I would have guessed from that one photo that the countershaft hanger assembly wasn't as far away from the bed as your's is. But I could be wrong.

Wow! Thanks for the incredible detail; I really appreciate the encyclopedic knowledge dump. I've seen you mention a database of models, serial numbers and other information. Can you point me to that? Thanks again.

Since your machine is over 80 years old (!!), it is quite possible that some of the parts have been replaced previously.

Good point. It was clearly being used as recently as 20 years ago, so there's a chance it's had some 'updates'. Thanks for all your help and detailed responses!

Wow! Thanks for the incredible detail; I really appreciate the encyclopedic knowledge dump. I've seen you mention a database of models, serial numbers and other information. Can you point me to that? Thanks again.
The database file and the index file are in Downloads in the Atlas/Craftsman/Dunlap/AA Database folder. The database is a ,DBF. The index is a .MDX. If you do not have any version of dBase (very few do), you can read the .DBF file with Microsoft Exel or Access. I don't think that either one will use the .MDX file. Before you go looking for it, read the blurb on using Downloads that is in the Sticky area near top of screen. I update the files sporadically as info on new machines turns up.

Back