Help Identifying Old Craftsman

KenBeckett39

Registered
Registered
Just purchased an old Craftsman lathe not sure of the model number?
I was told it is 9X36?
there is no tag on the end stand (no indication there ever was one there?)
end of the front bed is L6 17993 (assuming serial number?)
I'm searching for a manual, some I have found are somewhat helpful but seem to be later model, there are some differences?

Thanks for any help, tips on where to look are appreciated!

The banjo is different then what is listed in the manuals I have found,
it only has A, B, C positions (I am curious if the later ones would fit? assuming the D position would give more speed options?)
I got to figure how to get A photo posted?
Ken

Looks like an atlas 10f with babbet bearings. I think there is a parts list on this site.

Looks like an atlas 10f with babbet bearings. I think there is a parts list on this site.

Thanks,
It has Craftsman badge by the switch,
10 F looks close except this lathe has no quadrant D?
It has babbitt bearings, there is a little play (Chuck end) gotta look into that,
It does seem to all work well.

Close guess, schor, but it is a 12-inch. Similar vintage to mine, having no power crossfeed. Congratulations on the new machine! :D

The Atlas 9" and all 10" without QCGB have a FWD-OFF-REV gear box mounted to the top of the bed in front of the headstock. This lathe has the tumbler style FWD-OFF-REV shifter. It is an early Craftsman 12" from either the 101.736x or 101.0738x lines. The photo doesn't show whether or not it has back gears. If it doesn't, it is one of the 101.0736x series. If it does (and more than likely it does) it is one of the 101.0738x series.

Assuming that it does have back gears, from the banjo shape alone, it is either 101.08380 or 101.07381. The ON/OFF switch is mounted in the headstock and it has a cast change gear guard and a crank instead of a knob on the compound feed screw, so it is a 101.07381 (if it lacks back gears, it would be a 101.07361). I'll go and check as soon as I post this but there should be an early flat-file type parts list in DOWNLOADS. And with due attention to the fact that the 32T tumbler gear is ID'd as Spindle, and that the banjo (change gear bracket) is a slightly different shape, the Part 7 - Thread Cutting section out of the second edition 1937 MOLO in DOWNLOADS will apply.

Thank you for the info,
It does have back gears,
The gears (for thread cutting, carriage feed), I only have what is on the machine, & it moves the carriage way too fast?
I do have some (were in the basement of the house when we bought it) seem to be the same pitch, they are numbered, but they seem to be cast iron?
But more realistically need to shop for some,
The info will help, I really appreciate it.

Thank you for the info,
It does have back gears,
The gears (for thread cutting, carriage feed), I only have what is on the machine, & it moves the carriage way too fast?
I do have some (were in the basement of the house when we bought it) seem to be the same pitch, they are numbered, but they seem to be cast iron?
But more realistically need to shop for some,
The info will help, I really appreciate it.

It could be setup for threading, your going to need the right gears to get down to turning speeds.

I just added a rather poor copy of the original Craftsman 101.07381 parts list to DOWNLOADS. It may take a little while but I will eventually replace it with a cleaned up copy. Before you click on DOWNLOADS and start looking for it, read H - M Downloads - Navigation And Use in the Sticky area at the top of this Forum.

Also, check the tooth count on the gears on the machine, find the combination on the threading chart that matches that, and you will at least know what it was last set for. :)

I just added a rather poor copy of the original Craftsman 101.07381 parts list to DOWNLOADS. It may take a little while but I will eventually replace it with a cleaned up copy. Before you click on DOWNLOADS and start looking for it, read H - M Downloads - Navigation And Use in the Sticky area at the top of this Forum.

Also, check the tooth count on the gears on the machine, find the combination on the threading chart that matches that, and you will at least know what it was last set for. :)

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back