Help Identifying Old Craftsman

Ken is there enough room to cut a small snap ring groove?

Ken is there enough room to cut a small snap ring groove?
As is no, would have to either make a longer shaft, shave the gears or a combination of both?
That is an idea I may consider in the future, thank you
It has so far been working ok,

I am considering changing over to power cross feed (been watching fleBay) but $$$?
mostly because I would like to change the compound rest (my base is zamac with the 2 nuts, seems to be a weak point, & someone has over tightened the nuts causing it to not rotate well,)

also watching for change gears, I got a 64 tooth for $16 shipped, like brand new, (even at that I would have a lot $$ invested to get all I may need)
working on making a dividing head (a combination of plans I found, kind of my own version?) but time is limited!

I appreciate the help, I come here often to snoop around, have found a lot of good info,
Thanks to all
Ken

OK Ken one more idea you might consider. Could you drill and tap a small dia. hole in the end of the shaft then screw on a small washer with a low profile or flathead screw.

Jman,

You could do that and if you countersink the hole in the shaft before tapping, you would not have to use a special relieved flat head screw at least on the end of the shaft that is close up to the bed. But the problem is that the square hole through the gears (there are three of them attached in this manner) is a slip fit onto the square end of the shafts. The gear when slipped onto the shaft before peening can rotate a little bit. The peening eliminates the clearance and the back lash, as well as retaining the gear on the shaft. With the gear retained by a flat washer, the torque could eventually loosen the screw, and Murphy being who he is, probably sooner rather than later.

Robert I have always had more problems with Murphy and his law by not doing something that I know I should do, rather then taking the time or putting in the effort to fixing or trying to improve something that might slow him down. Of course I also have to remember the mistakes I have made trying to fix or improve something that was working fine as it is, like Ken's shafts.

Well, always remember, ifn it ain't broke, don fis it.

I had to use a center punch on the one end to get the gear tight (it has apparently been changed before)
The main issue is reusing an existing gear, (don't take it off the shaft if you don't have to (pushing it out enlarges the hole in the gear, requiring extra peaning)

Back