IMG_3259.JPG
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_3262.JPG
IMG_3264.JPG
IMG_3265.JPG
IMG_3266.JPG
IMG_3267.JPG
hey guys , I was referred over here from another area on the forums .. I have an old drill press that I grabbed from my uncle when he passed .. he was a lathe operator ( I believe for wood turning ) but had a decent little home shop that contained many rigged and homemade setups ... years ago when I got this I thought it was just that a homemade drill press but now a days with my knowledge increasing in this stuff I've realized that this is actually just a really old drill press with some "fixer upper" mods haha so any help with info on this drill press or whatever it is would be greatly appreciated and I can get pics and dimensions for whatever you guys want of this thing

The pics of the spring assembly is the handle at the top ... I've never seen anything with this type of setup not sure if that's kinda how they came or if that's something he rigged up

The pics of the motor are just to show what motor was on it when I got it

The vice is something else I got from him and if anyone knows anything about that one .. it has no markings what so ever so if it's just an old generic vice that's fine just wondered

And the pic with the welds or brazing is a pic of the motor mount .. I can get more pics of that but I know that's after market

Sorry, no real help to ya but I do send along this link from another forum where other examples of machines with similar features to yours was discussed...I suspect there was a point in time when these were made more or less generically and marketed to the new mass markets of homeowners looking to get some basic shop kit going.

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174301

That belt looks older than I do!

There seems to be something written in the casting here:
ScreenShot103.jpg

Can you get in for a better look?(....and better check both sides.)

For some perspective, how big is the table, and how wide are the vice jaws?

-brino

Last edited:
after my post above, I noticed that another picture showed it a little better:
ScreenShot104.jpg

Is the number "10078-100"?

I wonder if there's anything else behind those steel straps?

-brino

after my post above, I noticed that another picture showed it a little better:
View attachment 234203

Is the number "10078-100"?

I wonder if there's anything else behind those steel straps?

-brino

that belt was likely fashioned near the time of Noah lol

I will get you dimensions on the table and vice tomorrow if I can , and as far as anything else behind the steel straps ive had it all taken apart before but i dont recall anything else being there but i can get it apart again and sent some pics and perhaps try to decipher the number on the column

you know , after a second look at that Craftsman Companion Drill Press page on vintage machinery .. Im poised to think that thats it , the castings look identical and the base and table look identical .. the only thing is , when i take the motor mount off ill have to see if there's a cracked off nub where the idler and lever would have been , that would explain the homemade back end of this machine , just going on that , what type of work was supposed to be done with a "heavy duty " drill press with a lever as opposed to a twist crank with measurements ? just through holes basically ?

Back