Help identifying parts and value

Mindy

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for help in pricing a rebuilt 1920s(I think) 9" South Bend lathe and the many bits that seem to go with it. My husband was a professional machinist for years, but passed away 5 years ago. I thought about keeping this lovely machine and to learn about it for hobby projects. But is has become necessary to seriously downsize, and I was hoping to find a kind person who would help me identify the applicable parts and accessories as well as help set a price. I will add some general photos here, but can share much more detailed ones if anyone is interested in helping. I'm not even sure which tools might go with the lathe, and which are more automotive. I'm certainly willing to thank you in extra parts or tools. Thank you for considering helping me.

for sale misc 082.JPG

20180610_180004.jpg

20180610_180017.jpg

20170928_124811.jpg

20170928_124734.jpg

Sorry about the loss of your husband, Mindy. Sure looks like he kept a well-tended shop though, that's a nice looking machine. I'm not in much of a position to help, but I'm sure some of the other folks closer will be able to offer some advice. Good luck.

-frank

Mindy, I am sorry about your loss.

Most everything pictured in the first 3 picture are accessories for that lathe. I would try to sell it as a bundle (the new owner will find the lot far more valuable than the individual pieces). As far as the exact price, I'm afraid I can't give you that. If I were in the market for a small lathe, I might part with up to $1500 for the lathe and tooling, but others might be willing to spend more. I don't know that model of lathe, however if it has a nice name to it, the name might fetch a better price.

Edit: I reread and saw the 1920's South Bend. Some people have a love of old south bend's especially when they are in good condition. With the tooling that is with it, you shouldn't have an issue finding a loving home for it.

Those "C" shaped instruments are micrometers. Small ones might sell used for $30 where bigger ones might reach $50 or a little more. Again a good brand would certainly increase the price. If the entire machinists chest is full of various tooling, you might consider selling it as a set. This would leave you with less stuff to go through, and the chest is worth quite a bit by itself ($500-800 new).

That last instrument is a bore gauge set. Maybe $200?

Don't solely take my advice, let others weigh in here too.

Hi,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond with so much detail and possible pricing. I'm happy to have the bore gauge set identified as well. It that a machinist's tool? or more of a mechanic's tool?
All information is very helpful.
Thank you!
M

Hi,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond with so much detail and possible pricing. I'm happy to have the bore gauge set identified as well. It that a machinist's tool? or more of a mechanic's tool?
All information is very helpful.
Thank you!
M
Definitely a machinists, although it could have been useful to a mechanic.

Used to very accurately measure how big holes are.

Back