Help identifying the inserts for this face mill

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have this 3" face mill with an R8 shank. It's very effective, but one of the carbide tips has cracked. I suppose it could be ground, but I don't have a silicon wheel, and it seems like I could mess this up pretty good.

So could anyone help me identify these inserts? They are a 1/2" square steel bar, with an adjustment slot, and a braised on carbide tip.

There's no manufacturer shown on the face mill.

Thanks!IMG_2256.JPG

I'm thinking it will work just fine with the cracked one missing.

Yes, it works, but leaves a slight scar behind. It’s a nice almost mirror finish otherwise.

Try removing it entirely.

Ok, I will try that. I’ll report.

Well shut my mouth. I just lifted the chipped insert, per gonso, and to preserve balance as Tom suggested, and here's the result. Both pictures were the same depth of cut at 4 thousandths, about 270 rpm and feed hard to say exactly but the same power feed setting. Not too fast.

The pictures are not in the order of cutting. The first picture is the lifted insert, the second picture is the original complaint with the bad insert.
Sorry about the orientation, but I tried to get the same lighting.
5 inserts.jpg6 inserts.jpg

The first shot with the lifted insert looks way superior. Huh, never would have thought that.

Thanks to Gonzo and T Bredehoft for taking the time to gimme a hand here.

So now wouldn't it be even better to replace the bad insert? Still don't know where or how to get another.

Curt

Well shut my mouth. I just lifted the chipped insert, per gonso, and to preserve balance as Tom suggested, and here's the result. Both pictures were the same depth of cut at 4 thousandths, about 270 rpm and feed hard to say exactly but the same power feed setting. Not too fast.

The pictures are not in the order of cutting. The first picture is the lifted insert, the second picture is the original complaint with the bad insert.
Sorry about the orientation, but I tried to get the same lighting.
View attachment 382296View attachment 382297

The first shot with the lifted insert looks way superior. Huh, never would have thought that.

Thanks to Gonzo and T Bredehoft for taking the time to gimme a hand here.

So now wouldn't it be even better to replace the bad insert? Still don't know where or how to get another.

Curt
I suspect the insert could be very hard to find,but you could grind down the carbide or remove only the piece of carbide
so it is balanced.
I broke 2 teeth on my rip 24 tooth carbide (wood) blade and it cuts the same quality edge, just makes a light whistling sound.

Yep, if I can't find the insert, I'll have to try what Pacifica suggests.

That style cutter was shipped witn many mill drills. The inserts are not replaceable. The could be resharpened on a tool and cutter grinder It is hardly worth the effort. When dull scarp it. Buy a real face mill that uses common inserts.

Back