Help identifying the inserts for this face mill

here's an example on steel
IMG_0130.JPG

and alu. not the best pics to show the finish, but they're what I could find :)
IMG_7218.JPG
IMG_7219.JPGIMG_7489.JPG
IMG_7592.JPG

Well OK, Matthemuppet 2! I just ordered the set, though the arbor is an auction, I'll put in a bid when the time is right.

Thank you!

Curt

cool beans, glad I could help. Just as a heads up - all the chip guards on my mill were made after the first time I used my face mill :)

You might wan to check the arbor from your junk face mill. There is a small chance it will fit standard shell mills or face mills. I had a face mill similar to yours. The arbor turned out to be unsuitable for face mills. I scraped the whole thing.

Be careful ordering Chicom face mills. Some have aluminum bodies. Not great for durability.

My face mill is from Shars. It ha a steel body and integral R8 shank. It produces a beautiful finish. It is also capable of really hogging off material, even in steel. I have inserts for steel as well as aluminum.

My face mill is from Shars. It ha a steel body and integral R8 shank. It produces a beautiful finish. It is also capable of really hogging off material, even in steel. I have inserts for steel as well as aluminum.
How about a link to your face mill?

You might wan to check the arbor from your junk face mill. There is a small chance it will fit standard shell mills or face mills. I had a face mill similar to yours. The arbor turned out to be unsuitable for face mills. I scraped the whole thing.

Be careful ordering Chicom face mills. Some have aluminum bodies. Not great for durability.

many big name brand face mills are alu = lighter weight for high speed machining. Maybe the one you bought was junk, mine isn't and many others aren't. The arbor also doesn't have to fit any other face mill other than the one that's going on it, right?

If you're after 1 piece, then a 2" version ($79) would probably be a better fit for most mills than a 3".

and inserts for alu at $13 ea

I admit I never owned an aluminum body mill. It just seems like a bad idea to me.

Another concern, even with a good quality face mill, would be the inserts. Last I looked there were different tolerance inserts for the same shape and size. I assume you'd want to pay more for tighter tolerance inserts, right?

Expect to pay more for close tolerance inserts. They are preferred for high quality finishes. Lower precision inserts are fine roughing off metal.

Back