Help identifying the inserts for this face mill

Chek out Shars. You may be surprised at affordable they are.
Ok, I see your point, and it makes sense. 3” face mills run high double digits, low three digits. Not out of the question.

Also search EBay for gently used or new old stock quality ones. You can pick up a deal that way.

My favorite face mills are a lot of used Kennametal ones I got for cheap on ebay. I have a decent chinese one too, and it is pretty nice for an asian import. I also have a trash chinese one, and even it does good work when the stars are right. I'd give sharpening the brazed inserts a chance, or at least honing them and touching up any nicks that may be in the corners. If that doesn't work, it's time to go shopping. Face mills are far too useful to not have on hand.

A little more info might be available (not from me , I don't know the answer) if you remove the insert and show multiple pics of it.. keep rotating it to show the features of the shank.

I don't believe those will be too hard to find, and will be relatively affordable.
Disregard the comment about buying a REAL face mill... (just my opinion).

Yep, agree with literally all the comments here. In the absence of a replacement insert, my order of operation will be

1) Try sharpening and shaping the inserts
2) Check eBay
3) Check SHARS and the usual suspects.

There is a case 0, which is use the 5 "good" inserts. That surprised me that it worked that well, frankly. But a high quality face mill would indeed be a great thing.

Woodchucker, I'll post shots as you suggest. There could be hope I suppose. You guys are pretty sharp.

Here is a shot of the inserts, showing all 6 sides. They seem like metric, with an exact 13mm square body, about 40mm long overall. Screws are M6.

I still have hope that somebody can identify these and I can find a source. Thanks for your comments, all.

Curt

Inserts.jpg

I guess I should have told you only remove the bad one and take pics.
When you put them back in, put it in your mill, put an indicator on your table facing up. And indicate the height of each one as you reset them. you want the same contact point for each, otherwise you won't be using them all.

Here is a shot of the inserts, showing all 6 sides. They seem like metric, with an exact 13mm square body, about 40mm long overall. Screws are M6.

I still have hope that somebody can identify these and I can find a source. Thanks for your comments, all.

Curt

View attachment 382384
Yep, agree with literally all the comments here. In the absence of a replacement insert, my order of operation will be

1) Try sharpening and shaping the inserts
2) Check eBay
3) Check SHARS and the usual suspects.

There is a case 0, which is use the 5 "good" inserts. That surprised me that it worked that well, frankly. But a high quality face mill would indeed be a great thing.

Woodchucker, I'll post shots as you suggest. There could be hope I suppose. You guys are pretty sharp.
There is a case for a modern face mill: available inserts that work really well-multiple sided, great chipbreakers, different geometry inserts for different metals and machine sizes and rigidity, cbn and diamond for hardened or exotic metals, wide availability.

Back