Help identifying the inserts for this face mill

Those are NOT industry standard inserts. You may be able to buy 13mm square bits with brazed inserts. You would have to sharpen the inserts and machine the sots for the 6mm screws. It is not a worthwhile project because you would still have a poc cutter.

Note: Import bits with brazed carbide almost always need to be sharpened to create the correct clearance angles.

The face mills using SExx or APKT or APMT inserts have much more favorable rake angles than the face mill you are trying to refurbish.

Renewing your facemill is like putting lipstick on a pig. It is still a pig.

The face mills using SExx or APKT or APMT inserts have much more favorable rake angles than the face mill you are trying to refurbish.

Unless you have a high end tool cutter grinder and diamond wheels I am not sure it's worth trying to do work carbide,especially compared to the sophisticated inserts you can buy.
With HSS you can do a lot with rake angles, relief angles, nose radius size and put in chipbreakers to make a custom tool.

I am kind of getting the feeling that option 0 makes the most sense, followed by some rainy day shopping.

Thanks to all who chipped in!

Curt

the problem is that buying a chineese face mill winds up being torture for most people. I have heard that the insert pockets are at different heights. Which would make them less desirable than what you have. So you should buy a quality made one... ISCAR, Sandvick, Kennemetal, other USA made ones.

an 2" SEKT facemill with alu specific inserts will give you a mirror finish in alu and steel. In alu it'll remove so much metal that you'll need a bevy of chip shields to stop your workshop being coated with chips. In steel you can't cut as deep and the inserts don't last as long, but you'll get a lovely finish. For $30-40 for a facemill and arbor, plus $15 for 10 inserts, it's a pretty good investment. You can even resharpen the inserts a few times with a little HF diamond wheel on a dremel - I did that when I was making my AXA sized tool holders.

an 2" SEKT facemill with alu specific inserts will give you a mirror finish in alu and steel. In alu it'll remove so much metal that you'll need a bevy of chip shields to stop your workshop being coated with chips. In steel you can't cut as deep and the inserts don't last as long, but you'll get a lovely finish. For $30-40 for a facemill and arbor, plus $15 for 10 inserts, it's a pretty good investment. You can even resharpen the inserts a few times with a little HF diamond wheel on a dremel - I did that when I was making my AXA sized tool holders.
and who did you buy the facemill from? Link? those inserts are the same that the tormac facemill comes with if I remember.

something like this:

plus:

plus:

about $65 all in give or take. I'm still on my first pack of inserts and I've cut alot of steel with mine. I also cheaped out and made my own 5/8" straight shank arbor, which isn't all that great (bit of run out), but still cuts lovely.

Back