[Antique] Help identifying this lathe and drill press

eodcoduto

Registered
Registered
I just bought these from my Aunt's blacksmith shop that they closed, aand I have no idea what model or year range this lathe is. I know the drill press is a Champion 20" but I would like to narrow down the year and details on it as well. I won't be able to pick these up for almost a year due to retiring from the Marine Corps, but I would like to know what all I have until then. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• drill press 2.jpg
    drill press 2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 45
  • drill press 3.jpg
    drill press 3.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 45
  • drill press 4.jpg
    drill press 4.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 40
  • drill press 5.jpg
    drill press 5.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 35
  • drill press.jpg
    drill press.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 44
  • lathe 1.jpg
    lathe 1.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 44
  • lathe 2.jpg
    lathe 2.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 44
  • lathe 3.jpg
    lathe 3.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 38
  • lathe 4.jpg
    lathe 4.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 35
  • lathe 5.jpg
    lathe 5.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 33
  • lathe 6.jpg
    lathe 6.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 32
  • lathe 7.jpg
    lathe 7.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 30
  • lathe 8.jpg
    lathe 8.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 30
  • lathe 9.jpg
    lathe 9.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 29
  • lathe 10.jpg
    lathe 10.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 30
Thanks, if I was closer, we live in DC until Sept, I would have taken a truck and got a lot more. Their horizontal mill went for $60!

wow. The lathe could be almost anything. I think the look of it is similar to early LeBond lathes I've seen. You could try to match it on lathes.co.uk

The lathe is is excellent condition! it will restore very nicely, and have have a chance of doing fairly accurate work. I hope they are giving you tooling with it.

The lathe looks like it could be as old as the 1870s or 80s and looks like it might have been originally foot powered. The drill press looks to me like teens or 20's but this type was made up into the 1960s, I have one, a Canedy Otto made in 1947.

I should have looked harder. It looks like a Barnes No 5 lathe with the accessory drive setup, but it doesn't have the power crossfeed that I have found in some literature.

I should have looked harder. It looks like a Barnes No 5 lathe with the accessory drive setup, but it doesn't have the power crossfeed that I have found in some literature.
Barnes is what I was thinking ---- They made both foot and powered machines the hole in the center for the LH leg usually supported the drive pulley. Also, the dovetail bed was a typical feature on Barnes machines.

So I got my answer, it is the Barnes 5 1/2, now I'm trying to nail down the year.

Back