Help identifying this steady rest

SuperTroye

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I inherited this steady rest and don't need it, but would like to advertise it properly. It appears to be for a 15" lathe... I measured from center of hole to flat bottom at 7.5". Other pics and dimensions are shown. Anybody recognize it? No markings other than "15 125" on one side. I've tried looking at pics on eBay for the popular, older lathes with v-ways (South Bend, Monarch, Logan, Clausing) with no luck.

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

To my eye it looks like a Regal Leblond, the Regals were all made in odd inch swings, 13", 15 17, 19, & 21" swings; I have a 19". and its steady rest looks like yours.

To my eye it looks like a Regal Leblond, the Regals were all made in odd inch swings, 13", 15 17, 19, & 21" swings; I have a 19". and its steady rest looks like yours.

Thanks for the info... do you have any more info on yours? Model number, etc? Would you happen to have a pic? The only reason I'm asking is because I'm suspect that this could be a generic steady rest meant to be used on multiple manufacturers lathes.

Last edited:
I doubt that it would be generic, the dimensions of lathes are quite specific to manufacturers and accessories must fit! There are minor differences between your pics and my steady rest, but I think strongly that is what it fits.

No one else can confirm what lathe this steady rest is good for?

Have you tried a search on eBay for leblond steady rest. See if any have a pic of the numbers like yours does, then try matching the numbers. It's hard to make them out from my phone, but I'd also try just searching the numbers via google.

Have you tried a search on eBay for leblond steady rest. See if any have a pic of the numbers like yours does, then try matching the numbers. It's hard to make them out from my phone, but I'd also try just searching the numbers via google.

Yeah that's exactly what I've been doing. The only thing that looks identical is for South Bend (18"). All the Leblond steadys look different which has me scratching my head. The number in the casting is 16-125, and that search again leads to a South Bend.

I just want to know how to list it to sell. I've seen plenty of eBay ads for steady rests that don't list a manufacturer, and some even say they are guessing at which lathe it goes to. They have measurements, so it's really up to the buyer to know his bed widths if it fits? Anyways, it's all good...

It's not Leblond. I have to agree that it's South Bend. The number indicates a 16" SB lathe, too. Anyone here that owns a 16" SBL can verify this?

deleted , not important.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the more beefier one I believe fits a Monarch lathe. The bottom picture is possibly an older SBL steady rest. There were so many different lathe manufactures in the early half of the 1900's and many of them copied each others steady rest with few differences that it make it difficult to determine who's is who's.

Back