Help IDing unknown thread dial?

S

SCLead

Forum Guest
Register Today
A member of another forum sent me this thread dial in response to a thread I posted looking for one for my Heavy 10. It's decidedly not for a 10L, so I'm curious if anyone can help me ID it. Once I know what it goes to, I'll be offering it free to a home that can put it to use, since I'm not able to. The gear seems to mesh up to my 8TPI leadscrew nicely. Appears to be 3/8-16 mounting bolt. I can't find any casting marks or other identifying information anywhere on it.

file-2.jpeg
file1-4.jpeg
file-5.jpeg

Before you give it away, are you sure it will not work on your 10L? SB had some very different threading dials on the same model lathes over decades of production. I came across that with a late production NOS SB 13 threading dial, and it looked totally different than anything you might expect. It was South Bend, new in the box, the casting numbers showed it for a 13, and sure enough, it bolted right up. Since it engages the lead screw, it will work, it is only a matter of how to mount it...

I'm positive. I thought about modifying it to work, but as it is, it's a couple inches too tall. If I try to use the single mounting hole on this dial, the gear ends up several inches lower than my leadscrew. I have a correct 10L dial on the way, so this one goes to a free home if I can figure out what it's meant for.

Some models, you flip the gear over for one, and use it the way it is for the bigger lathe. I'm thinking it is the 14&1/2, and the 16", but may apply to smaller models.

It fits a 11" Sheldon K series..I sold a KS series lathe to a member here.he needs one.he lives in WV..can call him..

I' the guy in WV,, n I would love to have it,,,as my sheldon doesnt have one

Consider it sold then! Thanks for the assistance, folks!

Reactions: Z2V
Thanks very much..it's going to a good home..

Back