Help in identifying this tool or item, please

HRgx

Registered
Registered
First, I want to take an opportunity to thank the Mods for accepting me on the forum. I've recently purchased a new to me 14" x 40" Challenger lathe from a widow. It came with a wide array of tooling, measuring tools, etc. The change gears were in a small tool box which included this item. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? 20171023_233906[1].jpgThanks.

It's an adjustable "turret" stop, possibly but not definitely a carriage stop - it will mount to either the carriage (would make sense, that would put the numbers right-way-up) or the lathe bed and the adjustable hex sections will butt up against either the other (carriage / bed) or a rigid rod to prevent it moving beyond the end of the cut you're making (handy for multiple cuts on multiple parts) - there may be a threaded hole lurking somewhere that it'll fit into, and there may be another for e.g. a rod that the hex sections butt up against?

Dave H. (the other one)

@HRgx,

First, Welcome to the site!
Don't hesitate to ask any questions about machining here. I believe we have the best user base anywhere.

Second, I knew nothing of the Challenger lathes so I started browsing around.....they make some huge lathes and vertical machining centres.
They seem to be mentioned along with "Fanuc" and "Microcut", but I'm not sure what the relationship is.

One site with some company info is: http://www.lathes.co.uk/challenger/
I was hoping to see one of those "stops" fitted to a lathe so I could point you to a picture, but no luck......

If you're able to post pictures of your lathe, we would love to see it!

-brino

@British Steel and @brino - thanks for your input fellows, I really appreciate it. What you've told me makes total sense. First here is a picture of my Challenger lathe. It came with a brochure stating that it is made by Tida, in Taiwan. My other and first lathe is a Smithy 1324 Granite. It's smaller size allows me to cut rifle action screws and firing pin, therefore I'll keep using it for that. I checked the lathe over and there does not appear to be a threaded hole in the gearbox, nor the carriage for it to fit. However, if you refer to the bottom picture, I may remove the carriage socket head capscrew with a longer one to allow introducing an L shape block in which I can fit the device in my original post. What do you think of this idea?

20171024_072226[1].jpg20171024_072245[1].jpg

Could have been an add on that the previous owner never got to. Its a handy feature to have so by all means, go for it.

Any brackets or spare bolts in the tool box?
-brino

I can't answer your question but I do like your lathe! You might give thought to getting a mag base or two for holding indicators. Good score!

I can't answer your question but I do like your lathe! You might give thought to getting a mag base or two for holding indicators. Good score!

Thanks Jeff, I see the humor in all those dials and mags bases. I have been a journeyman millwright for 35 years with a fully equipped truck and service body. Mostly working on turbo machinery and reciprocating compressors and engines in the energy sector. I decided it was time to stay home instead of sleeping in every shady motel in the middle of nowhere in northern Alberta and BC. I sold all of the big tools, and kept all of my measuring tools and smaller stuff. Went into full time gunsmithing about 12 years ago. My father worked for FN in Herstal Belgium and that is where I got a lot of my training. I should mention that I am stoked about discovering this forum and plan to help out within my abilities as much as I can. Great place to learn and share. :)

Back