Help in identifying this tool or item, please

This forum is a great place to hang out!! Welcome aboard

Looking at your carriage the hex head on the left of the carriage maybe the mounting place ? Hard to tell but it sure looks likely to me . It may even be a push off to stop the feed towards the head stock. If it is you struck gold with that lathe.

The widow must not have used the machine much....it looks new!

You are right Chuck K. Unfortunately, the fellow was a retired HD mechanic and he passed away a mere year or so after purchasing it. It looked as though by the chips around the lathe that he was only cutting aluminum as he was learning the ropes. The lady was asking $4200.00 for it with all the tooling. When I stated a firm "I'll take it", I didn't have $4200.00 cash in my wallet, so I gave her a $500.00 deposit so that I could arrange a safe and careful pick up. She stated that she didn't need my deposit as I seemed a trustworthy sort of fellow. I insisted that she took the $500.00 and give me a receipt as that now makes it mine. My friend and neighbor operates a large ranch and has every kind of machinery imaginable. So, we showed up in the town neighborhood with a Freightliner, low boy trailer with hydraulic ramp and a tracked skid steer, much blocking and nylon straps. We drew quite a crowd from her neighbors...LOL.

Looking at your carriage the hex head on the left of the carriage maybe the mounting place ? Hard to tell but it sure looks likely to me . It may even be a push off to stop the feed towards the head stock. If it is you struck gold with that lathe.

Hey Silverbullet, thanks for your kind comments. The hex head that you mention is actually the oil filler plug for the apron. :)

The lathe on display at my local MSC has a turret stop like that. Bolts onto the apron & is used in conjuction with the carriage stop.

(Sorry, couldn't find a better pic)
20171029_142305.jpg

You are right Chuck K. So, we showed up in the town neighborhood with a Freightliner, low boy trailer with hydraulic ramp and a tracked skid steer, much blocking and nylon straps. We drew quite a crowd from her neighbors...LOL.
It's always good to show up ready for action.

Back