Help me decide on a 1" x 42" belt grinder

I just ordered the 2" x42" but it's under the name Palmgren, the price was right, I can upgrade it the same way Terry did at a later date but what I like the most (other than the price) is the size, I don't have a big shop so it should nicely fit in the corner of my shop when not in use.
Thank you all for your comments, links, opinions, and for helping me make me the right decision, well at least in my mind I think it was the best choice.
Now I definitely need to order the platen ,and a few belts .
https://www.traverscanada.com/2-x-42-belt-6-disc-sander/p/87-135-204/
61V2m9HJseL._SX425_.jpg

Ken:It cost me 100 for a 1.5 hp baldor and drive wheel was 39. I made the platten from 3/4" steel and attached to a piece of 1.5 " square aluminum.

Where's this place that you hope to get 25% off ? I hope you get it, I'd love to have that Jet 2x42 J-41002. you posted a picture of. it is a solid sander,it has tons of power ,has the 2" x 42" belt that we want, and doesn't take up much room.
MSC is selling them for $514, I would be all over it if I lived there, the closest I can get price wise id Travers,$633.17 Canadian $, add shipping & tax =$820. but it's a beast compare to my 1"x 30" lol.
https://www.traverscanada.com/2-x-42-bench-belt-disc-sander/p/87-115-309/

Thanks. I see you bought the Palmgren, congrats!

Zoro is where I'll be purchasing the Jet on the next 25% sale. Unfortunately gone are 30% Zoro sales, I really miss those & saved a lot of money on stuff. I have a feeling 25% days will end eventually though maybe in a year or 2.

Here in the States these currently normally go for $430 to $475 + shipping and/or tax. Zoro has it for $476, minus 25% puts it at $357 but since they have a Cali location I'll get charged tax. So I'll be paying just under $390 for it, shipping is free.

Next cheapest place is MSC. My logged in price from MSC is $403. Again they have locations in Cali so I'll get charged tax which will put me at just under $440. Shipping is free or I can just go down to my local MSC & order it or they might even have it in in stock. But no matter I'll be getting it from Zoro.

I just ordered the 2" x42" but it's under the name Palmgren, the price was right, I can upgrade it the same way Terry did at a later date but what I like the most (other than the price) is the size, I don't have a big shop so it should nicely fit in the corner of my shop when not in use.
Thank you all for your comments, links, opinions, and for helping me make me the right decision, well at least in my mind I think it was the best choice.
Now I definitely need to order the platen ,and a few belts .
https://www.traverscanada.com/2-x-42-belt-6-disc-sander/p/87-135-204/
View attachment 269216

Um, apologies in advanced for mentioning, being in Canada it might not apply, but Zoro has that Palmgren for $226, 25% off would be $169. But not sure if Zoro USA ships to Canada, if they do shipping might kill the price. I believe Zoro Canada has closed but I'm not sure. Do they still have Grainger in Canada? The Dayton that was mentioned is $150 at Grainger in the US & looks to be the same thing.

As always, always happy to help people spend their money but save some money at the same time. :)

As always, always happy to help people spend their money but save some money at the same time. :)
Will, Canadians in general are so used to seeing lower prices in the Us,that we don't get surprised unless it's a smoking deal. almost everything cost nearly double here compared to what it costs down there but the difference in a prices is not what kills a deal, it's the shipping, the importation tax, brokerage fees, the exchange rate ,etc.
Most of your online stores don't advertise their goods for outside the US so unless I know all the vendors who sell what I need ,and call or email them directly and ask if they ship here and dare to ask not to use UPS,or Fedex but only USPS, I usually end up giving up my search and settle for a " not so bad" deal .
All that said, I personally feel happy to hear any of our members get a super great deal, doesn't matter who or where so if or when you get your 25% off for that sander , make sure you let us know so at least I could say ,you suck.:)
We still have Grainger here but as far as I remember their prices are just as high as the rest.

Just don't buy the Harbor Freight combo like I did. It's cheap, but a waste of money.

I got the Palmgren which also goes under many different brands like Dayton, it has a powerful enough motor on it that I haven't been able to stall it with normal/heavy pressure on the belt.
I also got 60 grit and 120 grit ceramic belts ,these are amazing belts I don't think I'll ever go back to anything but ceramic from now on.
I'll be working on installing my own table similar to Mikey's or TerryH,

Will, Canadians in general are so used to seeing lower prices in the Us,that we don't get surprised unless it's a smoking deal. almost everything cost nearly double here compared to what it costs down there but the difference in a prices is not what kills a deal, it's the shipping, the importation tax, brokerage fees, the exchange rate ,etc.
Most of your online stores don't advertise their goods for outside the US so unless I know all the vendors who sell what I need ,and call or email them directly and ask if they ship here and dare to ask not to use UPS,or Fedex but only USPS, I usually end up giving up my search and settle for a " not so bad" deal .
All that said, I personally feel happy to hear any of our members get a super great deal, doesn't matter who or where so if or when you get your 25% off for that sander , make sure you let us know so at least I could say ,you suck.:)
We still have Grainger here but as far as I remember their prices are just as high as the rest.

Finally, a 25% Zoro sale. Just ordered the Jet, paid $391 including tax & free shipping. I usually get Zoro orders in one business day so it should be here Wed. If not, doesn't matter, I won't get to play with it for a while anyway. My garage is completely out of whack right now due to making room for working on my truck. Still got lots more stuff to do to the truck. But the main thing is I finally was able to snag one at a great price. :)

Awesome, Will! Looking forward to your impression of the grinder.

That's an incredible deal, I don't think you'll see this sander go any lower than that, I admire your patience, it finally paid off.

Back