Help me find more info about this tool.

Flynth

Registered
Registered
Some time ago I bought this Japanese made boring head. I don't even know if it is complete or how to use it properly. Specifically, does it require a tool holder? Or can I simply put a 6mm HSS bit in etc. I have a number of questions I hope perhaps someone can help answer.

This is the boring head.
Compress_20230203_221748_8004.jpg
It has a Morse no 3 taper. There is a set screw that appears to be there to hold the tool(on the left seen from the side on the photo). It has an inch scale that spans 0.1in in 0.02 increments. It has words "Made in Japan" written as well as 2in 2in7/8ths marking (it can be rotated 13 times so 7/8ths on an inch is a likely range). Also it has a logo I identified as belonging to Mitsui Seiki.

More pictures below:
Compress_20230203_221638_8985.jpg
Compress_20230203_221638_8494.jpg
What makes me wonder how to use it that it's tool slot is an unusual shape (6 by slightly under 12mm or 0.236x0.470 in) and the internal feature visible on the photo above that pushes the tool out is very narrow and made from soft metal (unhardened) so if makes me think it is not supposed to push against high speed steel bit.

If anyone knows more about this tool or one like it, please let me know.

What with the knurled body, it may be a facing or recessing head.
There is quite a bit of resistance when turning, I'm not sure handling that knurl under power would be possible as it is now, but maybe it is because of the grease I used when I put it together after cleaning(and cold temperatures). I have to clean it up and try with oil. If it suddenly turns easily you're likely right.

However, one turn is 0.1in which seems a lot for facing, isn't it?

I have something similar, believe mine is from a jig borer. Mine has a tapered shank with a short course thread, again I believe for a jig boring machine.
You need to add a zero to your increments, it direct reads the adjustment to 0.0002 dia with the vernier. Very precise, Im surprised it uses a morse taper.
I've never used mine, but turned the shank down on its mating boring head to hold it in a collet.
IMG_2023-01-12_15-00-24.jpeg
It uses 3/8th boring bars. Citation, made in Beverly Hills Ca. Guessing its old, can't imagine much manufacturing there now.

Greg

There is quite a bit of resistance when turning, I'm not sure handling that knurl under power would be possible as it is now, but maybe it is because of the grease I used when I put it together after cleaning(and cold temperatures). I have to clean it up and try with oil. If it suddenly turns easily you're likely right.

However, one turn is 0.1in which seems a lot for facing, isn't it?
Yes, it would be if that is indeed the increment.

Imagine my surprise when yesterday, I'm watching one of my favourite machining YouTube channels (this video
at 20:04 mark - a guy showing a new to him Hydroptic-6 jig borer) and a pretty much the same tool is shown, just with morse taper 4.

It is indeed an accessory head for a jig borer made inspired by the Swiss hydroptic machines. The knurling, the shape, even tool bit size all appears the same. Look at this (stills from the video)
Compress_20230216_093852_2409.jpg

Compress_20230216_093852_2543.jpg
Compress_20230216_093852_2221.jpg

Pretty cool. So this answers my question about the tool bit mounting. Now it would be interesting to find out which machine it came from.

I don't have one, nor I've ever seen an old pre-cnc era jig borer in person. Is this tool head shape unique to Swiss hydroptic? Or is it commo
Pn to jig borers in general? F350a mentioned before about his boring head from a citation jig borer, but the head shown uses different tool mounting mechanism

Certainly a single point boring head for a jig borer or a mill. These sorts of tools are a joy to use. I have a set of Moore and a mix of others for my jig borer. Perfect cylindrical holes, easy to hit the tenth. Almost cheating.

Back