Help Me Get Shapering!

Aluminum bronze can be a bear to machine....

Ted

I used aluminum bronze for the block, Atlas used "super-oilite", which it seems to be close if not the same, most of the super oilite that I found was round stock though. When I found a small piece of flat stock I purchased that to use.

I used aluminum bronze for the block, Atlas used "super-oilite", which it seems to be close if not the same, most of the super oilite that I found was round stock though.
Are you suggesting that aluminum bronze and oilite bronze are the same?

Sorry, I'd have to say they are totally different. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean...

Ted

Cast iron may be the longest wearing but ideally the block would be softer than the yoke it rides in. When the machine has some wear evident, it's relatively easy to make a new, slightly larger block, but having to re-true the yoke would be a pain. That's where I'm at now, gotta re true the yoke a small amount.

Just my thoughts I really do not like the grease cups rather have zerks there. I wouldn't lose sleep over the grease I'd just use light oil which should thin or break down the grease on its ways etc. I prefer drip glass site oilers they rule. As I run my machine I squirt oil as it runs on its ram ways just a habit. And I also give the bull gears a squirt of #90 gear oil as its running 'carefully' and it runs as quiet as a cat....

Attachments

• my shaper.JPG
    my shaper.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 220
So, does anyone know the proper belt sizes for the shaper? I have 1/2" belts on it now but they ride kind of high in the pulley and the clutch isn't very smooth to engage/disengage. Should they be 3/8" belts?

I keep forgetting to check my belts for you to see if there is any marking left on them or to see if I can find the invoice when I purchased them. They are ½" belts I think.

Thanks. Maybe they just need to wear a little. I got better clutch feel with a link belt, but it slightly rubbed the motor in an annoying way when actuating the clutch lever.

Hey I’m finally getting ready to make a new sliding block. If anyone else needs some aluminum bronze for anything, check out his eBay seller, they’ve got lots of small pieces and drops.

Back