Help me get this rotary table apart please

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
I recently got this rotary table. It’s a Universal Vise & Tool Company 12” table. When I bought it the guy told me it’s been sitting for years and years and the table spins but it’s pretty tight. I would like to take it apart and clean everything to get it moving a little better. It’s usable as it is but it definitely could be better. There is only one cap screw (circled in blue) on the worm/hand wheel. I was thinking I could lock the table take out the cap screw and thread it out of the worm but that didn’t work. The bottom has 4 slotted screws holding in a gasket and then there’s a spanner nut that I got off to reveal a giant timken bearing but I can’t figure out how to get the worm out. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 64783254-114F-469B-86E4-6C406EFE9DA4.jpeg
    64783254-114F-469B-86E4-6C406EFE9DA4.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 60
  • D8D06F54-7834-4889-B7DF-160D01DDFB3B.jpeg
    D8D06F54-7834-4889-B7DF-160D01DDFB3B.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 60
A quick google search for a manual didn't result in anything just now. Perhaps if you remove the handwheel it might reveal something? Just guessing. Detailed pics of the bottom and other sides would be helpful.

Yeah that’s just what I had on hand. I’ll get some tomorrow. I tried looking for a manual but all I found is a catalog on vintage machinery. I was thinking possibly taking the bottom nut off and hammering out the center bore (with a soft blow hammer and a block of wood) a little but I don’t want to possibly bend the worm gear. Also I did remove the hand wheel but there’s nothing under there as far as clues

That’s a nice RT.
I’m not familiar with the brand.
You scored!
Heavy I bet!!
My 10” just about does me in.

Does loosening the cap screw allow the worm shaft to swing away from the gear on the table so the table can be disengaged and freely rotated? If the table is free to rotate at that point the worm shaft won't be retaining the table.
If that's the case then remove the (two?) locking handles (they might go into a groove in the table, holding it on?) Then I'd turn it over and remove the bottom cover and shaft nut. Try pulling the table off at that point. All guessing on my part.

Thanks for the input. The cap screw doesn’t allow the worm shaft to swing away from the gear unfortunately. When I take the cap screw out the worm/crank handle extension gets a little loose but it won’t budge.

It looks like there's a table lock to the left of the crank. If it was me, I would remove it and look inside while turning the table. Maybe there's a setscrew that shows up.....

IIRC, on my 12" Phase III, both locking handles have to be removed... they ride in a groove on the bottom of the table. The nut has to be removed under the table, and the worm gear that is attached to the handle shaft has to come out. Then the table just slides out.

I'm thinking that capscrew has to be completely removed... not just loosened... it seats in a groove on the handle shaft to retain the shaft. With it removed, you should be able to turn the handle and unscrew the worm from the gear on the table... it might be best to do this before the table locks are removed, so you can lock the table while the worm is threaded out.

I'm just guessing here... based entirely on how I remember taking mine apart... but it's been a few years...

Good luck...

-Bear

I would expect to find a retainer on the bottom in the form of a plate or lock ring that holds the table. Removing it should permit the table to be separated. The table lock would have to be loosened or removed as well. The worm shaft should be able to come out of the housing when cap screw is removed.

Back