Help me ID this Round Column Mill/Drill Clone - Buffalo MM-1

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So my father surprised me with an "early Father's Day present", a Buffalo MM-1 Mill/Drill.

I haven't been able to nail down which clone this is. I'm reasonably confident that this is a Ronf Fu clone - possibly an RF-31 clone. I'm wondering if I'm correct.

I stopped researching after finding different table sizes and different pulley combinations. I felt like I was wading into uncharted waters and came here to those in the know.

First of all, here is the overall machine, as unloaded from the truck:

And here is the name plate:

And here is the speed chart:

The seller claims that the motor is 220V, 2HP, 1PH. I haven't tested but my father had the guy wire it up and run the spindle. As I inspected it the wiring checks out.

What little research I did, I couldn't find one of these Taiwanese clones that had a four pulley setup. This one does. As such, it can be run down as low as 30 RPM.

The table appears to be an odd size based on other clone specs I've seen.

So, any guesses as to what the equivalent RF clone model this would represent? I'd like to know in case I need to find parts as I get this mill up and running.

Last edited:
DOES IT REALLY MATTER?
That's why I'm asking. If I need to get parts, I'm assuming I should reference some part number. Since I can't find ANYTHING on Buffalo Machine Tools, I figured I'd try to find the clone version. Looks like the Enco 91002 is an identical version. So, I guess it does.

Makes some sense; if it looks the same, hopefully it is the same and the parts, if available, will actually fit, or just almost fit.

That might be equivalent to a RF20 or 25. The RF30 head is bigger and beefier and the same with the column base. I believe the 30/31 column is bigger too. The difference between the 30 and 31 seems cosmetic where the smaller number machines are all together different. I’ve not tried to come up with manuals or blowups of the 20 or 25 so I’m less sure of them. I believe RF made mill/drills as small as a 15.

It looks to be identical to my Excel EC-30b. I have looked for years for a manual and parts list. I find ones that are close but there is always something different. Mine has the same 4 pulley layout and the same knurled part to engage the fine feed on the quill. Similar speed chart too. Enco manual is attached

IMG_3895.JPG IMG_3940.JPG

Attachments

• enco manual 1.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
It's very frustrating to me that the different "re badgers" didn't keep RF's original designation of the model and just made these smaller mill/drills all a "30". It takes a trained eye to tell the difference especially with pic's. It makes me wonder if they were purposely trying to pass off the smaller mill/drills as the larger model or just adding to the confusion so you could only deal with the original re badger. Meanwhile almost none of those outfits aren’t around including Enco. Jet is still around and they had the same 20/25 up badged to a 30/31 but I have no idea whether they sell parts or if it's of original RF design/make.

Last edited:
Back