Help me identify this lathe and assign a value.

You will learn to pass on a deal as time goes on . There will be a better deal that follows .

Apparently you've already made your decision but I'll go ahead and correct the identification. Assuming that all parts are original to the lathe, it is a babbit bearing 10F with vertical countershaft, made between 1942 and 1945 (the headstocks with the rectangular power switch escutcheons came out in early 1942 and the babbit bearing headstocks and the vertical countershafts were both discontinued after 1945). The milling attachment and the steady rest are each worth a minimum of $150 and the Jacobs 58B or 59B headstock chuck $100. The only none original parts that I see on the machine itself are the two automatic oilers.

Just did a quick scan of eBay sold listings for the milling attachment. There were quite a few sold and they ranged in price between 200 and 375 dollars.

Just did a quick scan of eBay sold listings for the milling attachment. There were quite a few sold and they ranged in price between 200 and 375 dollars.
You can buy a used round column milling machine for that kind of money. Lathe milling attachments, especially ones on a small and light lathe like that, will be quite limited in the work they can do. Most of the lathe milling attachments I have seen for that size lathe appear to have been used once and then put away on a shelf to rust.

I havn't heard a lot of good things about round column mills, but I expect some of the price is in collector value, not use value. Also, the 10-12" milling attachments seem to be rarer than the 6" versions.

So I’m back on board for this lathe. After seeing the replies on the value of this machine and talking with the owner, I maybe picking this machine up next week. I actually already have a round column mill I picked up for the price of this milling attachment lol. I bought it primarily for a drill press, but it works for milling right now. I’m easing back into machining after selling my Tormach PCNC1100 4 axis setup. I have learned a lot in having to use more simple equipment when making my parts.

Last edited:
So sell off the milling attachment and recoup $300. I have a milling attachment as well. I tried using it once. I was not impressed, I have never used it again.

Update!!!! I didn’t get the lathe, because this fell into my lap for $800.00. He was asking for $2300.00

9D7AD1DE-88B3-4C28-ACB6-C7237B383EE4.jpeg

6DA4EA5E-E2BD-41AD-9CAF-25841D43747D.jpeg

1F398FF1-E803-44E5-8779-4B5FEFE4DAD1.jpeg

39B6B724-4DB2-49BB-9665-67224A95D832.jpeg

Last edited:
Back