Help me pick test indicator and holder

Thanks for all the replies. Just the kind of information I was looking for.
Keep them coming.

Word of caution on buying used or Import: Many of the indicators on Ebay are in not in good shape. Many are damaged to some degree.
Most can be repaired, but with repair costs upwards of $60-$150, a $50 "deal" can turn in to a nightmare.

B&S Best Test indicators are great, general use gages, but they are fragile, un like the Compac, which is super sturdy. First time indicator, you may want to consider a new Mitutoyo.
Of the Swiss brands, only the Value Line is made in China. See: www.longislandindicator.com for some very good information.

Mikey links an excellent Compac.(good seller, JRWoodca, I've purchased from them). You can buy this model brand new from LongIslandIndicator for $225., the latest, newest model, has larger ball bearings). I own two of those in .0005 and ,0001". These are multiple rev DTI's. The B&S Best Test is a single rev. which shorter range but super accurate. Bottom line, I would stick with Swiss Compac, TesaTast or Best Test first, Mitutoyo, brand new 2nd choice. The Compac, will last a lifetime.

AFA indicator holders? It's a good idea to buy a few., but a Noga mag base,& an Indicol, are pretty much essential. You can buy what you need as you go along an determine your specific uses for each. Check out the Noga website. Good luck.

]Thanks for the heads up on some Bestest not being from Switzerland anymore.
I almost pulled the trigger on the line to the Compac until I noticed the screw in the face plate looked corroded. What would you make of that?

The corrosion you're seeing is probably from the indicator sitting in a box for a long time. I'm sure it's fine and you can ask the seller if the one they're shipping comes in a sealed bag. New indicators all come sealed with Vci paper. I would try to get the price down though. They originally wanted $225 or best offer. I see the price has come down a lot. Another thing, if you can't verify the accuracy of the used or Ebay gage, it will be difficult to tell how much hysterisis, condition of bearings, etc.. Unless you know what to look for in a used gage, I would seriously consider a brand new gage from a seller like Msc. Amazon.com also has good deals on Best Test, but purchase from Amazon.

Last edited:
Joe, I'm with you re Swiss dti's. However, you have to be careful nowadays because some of the indicators that have long been made in Switzerland are now being made in China, including some Bestest indicators. Hexagon has apparently succumbed to the world economy and is outsourcing. If the dial says "Swiss Made" then it is made in Switzerland. If it does not, then it isn't.

+1 on what Mike said...
I decided I needed a .0001 indicator, ordered up a Bestest 7023-3 from MSC on a %off sale a few months ago, thought I got a pretty good price (lowest I could find anywhere). Unpacked it the second it arrived...the label on the plastic case did not say "SWISS MADE"...uhoh methinks something is awry here. Sure enough the face of the indicator does not say swiss made either. Buyer beware indeed, I have no idea where it was assmbled/made. Having said that, it appears identical in terms of materials and workmanship, including the plastic case, as my genuine swiss made Bestest. Disappointing though to pay swiss made pricing and have it made somewhere else.

That Compac Mike linked appears to be a steal at that price, and is a sweet indicator. I'm not sure that is corrosion on the screw face...lordy am I tempted on that one regardless, but I already have 2 half-thou indicators and the finance department would blow a fuse...still tempted though. I seem to have developed a fetish for swiss indicators thanks to the helpful folks on this forum.

My first indicator when i was starting out and didn't know any better was this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/030-Dial-T...520798?hash=item19fbf8109e:g:uogAAOSwv~1aTWD3. Have to say it has worked just fine and still does, despite taking some unintentional abuse. If I were on a tight budget it would, and did, get me started.

Agree buying used can be a crapshoot. I haven't been burned yet but then I've only bought 2 used. One is a Compac 225GA vertical off ebay in wonderful condition, extremely happy with it. The other was one I couldn't resist, an Alina 41-628, another vertical style, although with small face but it's just so darn cute (yup my name is Kurt and I have an indicator problem), that I bought from Ideal Precision out of their used/reconditioned section, even came in the original wood case.

I have 2 Noga bases, the small and medium with fine adjust on the base...love them.

There is rifling in there so unless you're talking about indicating in a chamber that would not be of much use.

With gun barrels you are using the indicator as a comparator, taking readings off the lands or grooves not both, whichever suits your fancy; this is how barrels are indicated. As such switching out stems is not an issue since you are only comparing position and not concerned with absolute dimension. However I do have an Interapid 312B-15 long arm for such work (did I mention I have an indicator problem).

Joe , I will let you know what I have left . Probably close to 100 or so . If you see something that floats your boat , we will work something out andif you find out its not what you wanted , you can always return it . I'm always here ! I just don't have the need for the majority of high precision tools anymore since I don't work for the government anymore and most likely will not be machining at home .

I also have Starretts, Mitutoyos, Teclocks and I even have a Phase II and they all work. HOW they work differs though. A Swiss-made indicator is super-smooth and consistently so. This is most evident in the drop indicators but is also seen with the dial test indicators. My Interapid and Compac indicators repeat the best and have done so for decades. I'm not dissing the Chinese stuff; I just choose not to buy them.

And yes, Kurt, you are not alone!

With regard to the Compac indicator on ebay, I don't see any corrosion on the screw. I enlarged the pic on a 4K screen and cannot see what you're referring to. If there is corrosion then it is likely from sitting as Emilio said. If you are considering it, email the seller and tell him of your concern. He can examine it and tell you more about that than a picture can. Personally, I think that is a very good price on one of the best indicators I know of but if there really is an issue then he might go for a lower price offer.

You can also wait for a used one for cheap but then its a crap shoot as to how it lived its life before being sold. Used indicators, if they are in good shape, can be cleaned and calibrated by LIIS and returned to fine working condition but it adds to the cost.

This discussion happens fairly frequently on HM and there is no right answer as to which indicator to buy. You get what you can afford and take your chances, I suppose. For me, I prefer to buy a good one and buy it once. Then again, I've bought many good ones so I don't even follow my own advice!

Mahr makes a very nice indicator and that price isn't bad !

+1 on what Mike said...
I decided I needed a .0001 indicator, ordered up a Bestest 7023-3 from MSC on a %off sale a few months ago, thought I got a pretty good price (lowest I could find anywhere). Unpacked it the second it arrived...the label on the plastic case did not say "SWISS MADE"...uhoh methinks something is awry here. Sure enough the face of the indicator does not say swiss made either. Buyer beware indeed, I have no idea where it was assmbled/made. Having said that, it appears identical in terms of materials and workmanship, including the plastic case, as my genuine swiss made Bestest. Disappointing though to pay swiss made pricing and have it made somewhere else.

That Compac Mike linked appears to be a steal at that price, and is a sweet indicator. I'm not sure that is corrosion on the screw face...lordy am I tempted on that one regardless, but I already have 2 half-thou indicators and the finance department would blow a fuse...still tempted though. I seem to have developed a fetish for swiss indicators thanks to the helpful folks on this forum.

My first indicator when i was starting out and didn't know any better was this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/030-Dial-T...520798?hash=item19fbf8109e:g:uogAAOSwv~1aTWD3. Have to say it has worked just fine and still does, despite taking some unintentional abuse. If I were on a tight budget it would, and did, get me started.

Agree buying used can be a crapshoot. I haven't been burned yet but then I've only bought 2 used. One is a Compac 225GA vertical off ebay in wonderful condition, extremely happy with it. The other was one I couldn't resist, an Alina 41-628, another vertical style, although with small face but it's just so darn cute (yup my name is Kurt and I have an indicator problem), that I bought from Ideal Precision out of their used/reconditioned section, even came in the original wood case.

I have 2 Noga bases, the small and medium with fine adjust on the base...love them.

With gun barrels you are using the indicator as a comparator, taking readings off the lands or grooves not both, whichever suits your fancy; this is how barrels are indicated. As such switching out stems is not an issue since you are only comparing position and not concerned with absolute dimension. However I do have an Interapid 312B-15 long arm for such work (did I mention I have an indicator problem).

Very strange on the Msc purchased Best Test. I have never seen a B&S Best Test DTI w/o Swiss Made. I own several Best Test DTI's, older Blue box
and the newest Grey Box model. All of them -3 or -5 series. All have Swiss Made on the dial and the boxes. I would have returned it. Was the gage in the sealed plastic bag when you opened the box? All new Swiss indicators come sealed with Vci paper. All B&S Best Test DTI's have Swiss Made since they are made in Switzerland. (ValueLine made in China).

Side Note: B&S Parallel sets are now made in Switzerland by Tesa.!

The Mikey linked Compac is selling out fast. I think Mikey did them a favor. $171 plus $15 shipping from Canada seems high. $185.00, another $40 get's you a brand new one. ?? with a warranty too.

Last edited:
I went ahead and bought one of the Compacs that Mikey pointed out. I really like the large, uncluttered, easy to read dial, and rev counter.
Much nicer than anything else I was looking at. Thanks, Mikey.

For some reason, I was thinking these were old models. Maybe its recent mfg. I'll ask.

Back