Help me pick test indicator and holder

I don't know why I assumed these were some old stock.
I ask the Ebay seller about the age and warranty. Here is his reply:

"Hi, we bought out a distributor that had closed. They are current stock. I would assume they have a factory warranty but don’t know for sure as we bought them as a close out we are not distributors that is why we are selling at less than dealer cost. Thank you"

Can't wait to get it!

Did you make an offer? If so what did you get it for?
I bought a Compac P2 a year ago from the same seller. Got the same answer to my question.

Last edited:
Did you make an offer? If so what did you get it for?
Where it said 4 available/1 Sold, I clicked on "1 Sold", and there was a long list of "Offers declined", so I didn't make an offer.
$171.50 + $15 shipping.

Yeah. I made four offers and got locked out.

Congrats. The grey box Compac is the latest model. They have even larger ball bearings, so they will last two lifetimes.
If you have a receipt, the warranty should be good. I think it's one year. They should come sealed and will the Tesa paperwork if they're
truly brand new. They may have been purchased with the intention of being used but were not.
These Compacs are really smooth and super accurate. Let us know how you like it.

Actually I made five offers. After the fifth one is denied you can no longer make an offer but you can still buy it for the buy it now price.
Sorry if my previous post was misleading.

]Thanks for the heads up on some Bestest not being from Switzerland anymore.
I almost pulled the trigger on the line to the Compac until I noticed the screw in the face plate looked corroded. What would you make of that?

The corrosion you're seeing is probably from the indicator sitting in a box for a long time. I'm sure it's fine and you can ask the seller if the one they're shipping comes in a sealed bag. New indicators all come sealed with Vci paper. I would try to get the price down though. They originally wanted $225 or best offer. I see the price has come down a lot. Another thing, if you can't verify the accuracy of the used or Ebay gage, it will be difficult to tell how much hysterisis, condition of bearings, etc.. Unless you know what to look for in a used gage, I would seriously consider a brand new gage from a seller like Msc. Amazon.com also has good deals on Best Test, but purchase from Amazon.
Hi Emilio, Thanks for the info. Whats the reason for purchasing from Amazon?
Thanks, Joe

+1 on what Mike said...
I decided I needed a .0001 indicator, ordered up a Bestest 7023-3 from MSC on a %off sale a few months ago, thought I got a pretty good price (lowest I could find anywhere). Unpacked it the second it arrived...the label on the plastic case did not say "SWISS MADE"...uhoh methinks something is awry here. Sure enough the face of the indicator does not say swiss made either. Buyer beware indeed, I have no idea where it was assmbled/made. Having said that, it appears identical in terms of materials and workmanship, including the plastic case, as my genuine swiss made Bestest. Disappointing though to pay swiss made pricing and have it made somewhere else.

That Compac Mike linked appears to be a steal at that price, and is a sweet indicator. I'm not sure that is corrosion on the screw face...lordy am I tempted on that one regardless, but I already have 2 half-thou indicators and the finance department would blow a fuse...still tempted though. I seem to have developed a fetish for swiss indicators thanks to the helpful folks on this forum.

My first indicator when i was starting out and didn't know any better was this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/030-Dial-T...520798?hash=item19fbf8109e:g:uogAAOSwv~1aTWD3. Have to say it has worked just fine and still does, despite taking some unintentional abuse. If I were on a tight budget it would, and did, get me started.

Agree buying used can be a crapshoot. I haven't been burned yet but then I've only bought 2 used. One is a Compac 225GA vertical off ebay in wonderful condition, extremely happy with it. The other was one I couldn't resist, an Alina 41-628, another vertical style, although with small face but it's just so darn cute (yup my name is Kurt and I have an indicator problem), that I bought from Ideal Precision out of their used/reconditioned section, even came in the original wood case.

I have 2 Noga bases, the small and medium with fine adjust on the base...love them.

With gun barrels you are using the indicator as a comparator, taking readings off the lands or grooves not both, whichever suits your fancy; this is how barrels are indicated. As such switching out stems is not an issue since you are only comparing position and not concerned with absolute dimension. However I do have an Interapid 312B-15 long arm for such work (did I mention I have an indicator problem).
Thanks, Kurt. Which Nogas are you calling the small and mediam? The NF and DG?
And thanks for validating my thoughts of using a long stem for indicating a rifled barrel.
On that note, let me reword one of my questions from my first post. Can I swap indicator stems and expect the same precision/readout when I reinstall the original stem?

Thanks, so much for everyone input.

Back