Help me understand DC motors for SB 9

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
a local guy on Craigslist has a 1 HP DC motor, with variable speed control and all the wiring available to power my SB 9.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/5981728832.html

Is this a good fit for the SB 9, In terms of HP? Also in terms of low end torque for turning speeds between 50 RPM and 300 4RPM?

Thanks
Glenn

That looks like a good package Glenn, I have a KBIC 125 also, they're great. The motor looks good too. You might offer a little less. Ask the condition of the motor brushes. (4 on that one looks like)
Mark S.
ps should be enough torque for a SB9

Looks like a nice set up..I installed a dc motor off a treadmill on a 10k..luckily it had a mc60 controller which very easy to install.worked out all speeds.good luck..

Thanks guys. Good to hear this is a workable setup. Still trying to decide if I want to build an old school 110v countershaft assembly or go hi tech here with variable speed DC. Need to go out to the shop and drag out my parts box to see what drive components I already have on hand.

Glenn

I have a 1/4 HP permanent magnet DC motor on my 9" SBL. Does ok my needs. Being PM motor, it is easily slowed down by any heavy cuts you take since it is not a constant HP at most RPM's as a DC motor with a field winding. I have a 3/4 HP PM DC motor I plan on putting in place of the 1/4 HP some day. Oh, I run the motor on a 110V power supply.

So Ken are you running with a controller or just straight off the line with a rectifier? A good controller will keep the speed constant even with a PM motor if the current compensation is adjusted correctly. (Just wanted to mention that for Glenn's benefit in case he gets the idea PM motors should be avoided)
Mark S.
ps I should mention I have the IR comp adjusted a little too high on my controller and it actually speeds up slightly when I take heavy cuts.

Last edited:
Hey Glenn have you posted any pictures of your train engines? I'd kinda like to see those.
Mark S.

It's a store bought Dayton motor controller for DC motors up to 1 hp. It's really for DC motors with full voltage field windings. For PM motors, you just don't hook up the field winding connections in the box. It will keep the speed constant at any RPM until you get down around 10-15% of full RPM.
I put it on the lathe to replace the original OEM motor which was a GE 1/4 HP capacitor start motor that finally bit the dust.

.......snip...... (Just wanted to mention that for Glenn's benefit in case he gets the idea PM motors should be avoided)......snip.....
Not necessarily! There's not a darn thing wrong using PM motors on a machine tool. Used many over the years on equipment I've designed in my past with excellent results.

Back