Help me understand DC motors for SB 9

Hey Glenn have you posted any pictures of your train engines? I'd kinda like to see those.
Mark S.

Mark, here's a couple of loco pics. The bigger one is Albert Campbell's 1902 4-4-0 loco. Mr. campbell pioneered making and selling miniature live steam loco casting kits to hobby machinists from the 1890's to around 1930. This was a barn find I bought as a retirement restoration project couple of years ago. Nobody knew the history when I bought it, but I found Mr. C's great-great grandson who used to fire it up in his shop as a kid. He helped verify the history of when and where it was stored, then latter sold.

The smaller engine is a 1950 Ottaway. Ready to run this spring, but needs paint... if I ever get done repairing my machine tools I might have time to actually work on the loco's! Also a couple of photos of the Ottaway in earlier days- back in the late 1960's when it was named 'Cinder Ella'.

Both are coal fired. The Campbell loco is 12 5/8" gauge. The Ottaway is 12" gauge. Probably going to regauge the Campbell to 12" gauge so I can run both on the same track.
IMG_1304.JPG
View attachment 225934
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool Glenn- thanks for sharing those, looks like you have enough to keep you busy for the next couple decades LOL
Mark S.
ps can you run them on charcoal briquettes? :big grin:
also what happened with the other electric motor you were trying to reverse?

Mark, thanks, yep, I figure I have enuf work to keep me going for 127 more years. I doubt they would make enuf steam on Charcoal. Wood doesn't have nearly the same BTU as bituminus. These are fairly large boilers, 12" + diameter , and cylinders are 4"x6" on the Campbell, so needs a lot of steam generation. Coal is hard to come by, so my plan is to retro fit propane burners at some point.

I was able to reverse the wiring by switching the leads OK. Ran OK for awhile they just died the other day. To bad as it was an 1150 RPM motor. Slowed down and quit turning the lathe all of a sudden, so replaced with yet another motor and now runs great.

Glenn

OK Mr. Brooks, have fun. I have a friend in Camas- you anywhere near there?
MS

We got plenty here in Colstrip
Mark, thanks, yep, I figure I have enuf work to keep me going for 127 more years. I doubt they would make enuf steam on Charcoal. Wood doesn't have nearly the same BTU as bituminus. These are fairly large boilers, 12" + diameter , and cylinders are 4"x6" on the Campbell, so needs a lot of steam generation. Coal is hard to come by, so my plan is to retro fit propane burners at some point.

I was able to reverse the wiring by switching the leads OK. Ran OK for awhile they just died the other day. To bad as it was an 1150 RPM motor. Slowed down and quit turning the lathe all of a sudden, so replaced with yet another motor and now runs great.

Glenn

Not to hijack the thread, but have you ever looked into burning corn in place of the coal? Or a pellet coal corn mix?
Corn has MORE BTU per pound than coal and is of course readily available.
I heated with it for a number of years before corn went way up and propane came way down in price.

Just a thought to consider

Back