[Newbie] Help Me Understand Kwik Switch 200 Tooling

95ttoplt1

Registered
Registered
My new Series 1 CNC BP has a Kwik Switch 200 and it came with a small box of tooling and I'm trying to get a better feeling of the benefits of this vs R8. I didn't want R8 as I wanted somekind of drive ears on my tooling, just for extra strength.

I have a Jacobs chuck and a few end mills and some thing things. I guess I picture would be helpful.

My question is I see these offered with a collet insert into a kwik switch holder. In this case, wouldn't this have less holding power than just a R8 spindle? I get it that I can set these up for a specific height, and that is a definate benefit over R8 in the CNC game.

Does anyone have this set up? What are the pros and cons?

My EzTrak has a Kwik Switch 200 spindle. I think it's the bee's knees. Fast to change, easy to maintain accurate Z and secure. I have never had a tool slip in one of the collets even solid carbide. I picked up a pretty good selection of holders, both collet type and solid end mill holders, from a buddy who got them in an auction lot and wasn't using them. Have since picked them up on eBay when the price is right. Wouldn't switch to R8 for any reason.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy the rapid setup. That said, I also find with the cutters I use that I rember when I last used them,the duration, and the stress. I don't just throw them in a drawer. Lastly (not including the remarks above) end mill holders are for end mills and metrics, collets are for odd conditions that and end mill cutter holder doesn't address or that I don't have. Just my opinion!

Back