[4]

Help me wire a drum switch

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

shotgun choker

Registered
I have a 115volt Bodine gear motor (sn 415vy9016) that I need to wire to a forward- off - reverse switch, it has 2 black and 2 blue wires going to the windings, with a green wire to ground, no visible compositor. Can this be wired to work?

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Probably but you haven't given us enough information. Bodine motors that I have seen do use an external capacitor. The name plate usually says what capacitor is required. Typically it will be something like a 15 MFD motor run capacitor. It looks like you gave us the serial number but not the model number of the motor. Data sheets and wiring diagrams are available on the Bodine website for many motors.

Here is a link to one wiring diagram. It is pretty typical but may NOT be correct for your motor. https://www.bodine-electric.com/?action=file_download&file=wiring-diagram-07410296

shotgun choker

Registered
I don't know anything about wiring. I took a look at the diagram but don't know what the word tracer means. What I need to know is where to attach each wire to the switch, it has 6 places to put wires

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Can you post the diagram you have? A close up of your switch would help too

shotgun choker

Registered
I don't have one, I looked inside the motor, no diagram. It has a blue and a black wire attached to each side of the winding

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Tracer means "stripe". For example, black with yellow tracer means black with yellow stripe

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
Ok with the type number "Type NCI-12RG" I was able to find a 1996 catalog online. The catalog also lists a reference to the correct wiring diagram.
This is the catalog page that matches that number:

bodine_motor_cat_pg15.png

Here is the wiring diagram circled in red.

Bodine07410005WireDiagram.PNG

Note that this diagram does not show tracers on the wires. It does show a capacitor.

What type of switch are you planning to use? Manufacture and part number would be good.

Here is a link to the 1996 Bodine catalog where I found the information above:

https://www.bodine-electric.com/core/files/bodineelectric/resources/8a43a68aa73c34dc1d94fb9bfabce8ef.pdf

shotgun choker

Registered
Yes that's it so it can be reversed, thankyou, now if somebody will write down what to hook up where. I've read all the posts in here about how to do it and I'm more confused than ever.

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
Electrical hookup for a non-electrical person is confusing. No question there, it's a given. Start with the switch; an industrial motor reversing switch has the following connections that may well vary from switch to switch. Doesn't matter where they are physically, they all do the same thing. There is an ON-OFF switch that operates in both directions. Then there is a double pole switch that operates in different directions for different throws. One way will be straight across, the other way will be crossed. Centered will be open, no connection. Sit down with a cold drink (or beer, depending on preference) and the switch, operating it side to side until you can see each of these switch contacts. When you can see this, and not before, can you hook up the switch to the motor.

Now, to the motor; The black wires connect to the line cord, one to BLACK, one to WHITE. Make sure the capacitor is in the blue circuit. Then connect the two blue wires to the two black wires. When plugged in, the motor should run. Then, swap the two blue wires. The motor should run the opposite direction.

Then, and only then, add the switch into the circuit. From the line side, one of the black wires will run through the switch that is an ON-OFF. Then connect the two blue wires through the reversing switch. Depending on the model of switch, those two wires may be on opposite sides. Connect the other side of those to the neutral (white) and the black after the ON-OFF switch.

I normally make up the connections at the motor, with a six conductor cable to the switch. It is quite possible to bring in the line cord through the switch and have fewer conductors to the motor. That would be your choice, depending on how the wires were routed. The connections will be the same, it's just a matter of where they make up.

There are a couple of very important points to remember. The first is the GREEN wire. It is a frame ground and has no active part other than tying the metal parts together. The BLACK conductor in the line cord MUST go through an ON-OFF switch before it is used. In residential (home) electrical systems, the white wire is normally a reference point. There are exceptions, but very rare. In most (99.99%) systems, it can be left connected. Only the black wire must NEVER be hot until it is in use.

Bill Hudson​

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
It's a chinese switch off ebay, it's just a straight switch forward-off-reverse
Did it come with a wiring diagram? Sharing that would help us help you. There are generally two styles of drum switches, wiring for each style is different.

BTW it appears that the capacitor that is required was part number 494-00028 which is a motor run capacitor rated at 3.75 MFD and 370 Volts AC. A higher voltage rating is fine, but not lower. Finding a 3.75 MFD might be challenging, a 4 MFD should work fine. Bill Hudson's suggestion of getting the motor running without the reversing switch first is good idea.

Last edited:

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Chinese switches are not all alike, need to track down the internal connections either from a chart online or by yourself with a continuity checker or ohmmeter
We can't do that for you

shotgun choker

Registered
Electrical hookup for a non-electrical person is confusing. No question there, it's a given. Start with the switch; an industrial motor reversing switch has the following connections that may well vary from switch to switch. Doesn't matter where they are physically, they all do the same thing. There is an ON-OFF switch that operates in both directions. Then there is a double pole switch that operates in different directions for different throws. One way will be straight across, the other way will be crossed. Centered will be open, no connection. Sit down with a cold drink (or beer, depending on preference) and the switch, operating it side to side until you can see each of these switch contacts. When you can see this, and not before, can you hook up the switch to the motor.

Now, to the motor; The black wires connect to the line cord, one to BLACK, one to WHITE. Make sure the capacitor is in the blue circuit. Then connect the two blue wires to the two black wires. When plugged in, the motor should run. Then, swap the two blue wires. The motor should run the opposite direction.

Then, and only then, add the switch into the circuit. From the line side, one of the black wires will run through the switch that is an ON-OFF. Then connect the two blue wires through the reversing switch. Depending on the model of switch, those two wires may be on opposite sides. Connect the other side of those to the neutral (white) and the black after the ON-OFF switch.

I normally make up the connections at the motor, with a six conductor cable to the switch. It is quite possible to bring in the line cord through the switch and have fewer conductors to the motor. That would be your choice, depending on how the wires were routed. The connections will be the same, it's just a matter of where they make up.

There are a couple of very important points to remember. The first is the GREEN wire. It is a frame ground and has no active part other than tying the metal parts together. The BLACK conductor in the line cord MUST go through an ON-OFF switch before it is used. In residential (home) electrical systems, the white wire is normally a reference point. There are exceptions, but very rare. In most (99.99%) systems, it can be left connected. Only the black wire must NEVER be hot until it is in use.

Bill Hudson​
Bill there is no capacitor on the motor, switching the blue wires doesn't reverse the motor. Am I going to need a capacitor

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
How complicated is wiring the capacitor into the system
The capacitor hookup is shown in the wiring diagram I shared above. Below is a copy with the capacitor circled in yellow.

The capacitor has only two terminals. Since this is an "AC" capacitor the two terminals are interchangeable.

Bodine07410005WireDiagramZoom.png

shotgun choker

Registered
does the capacitor go between the switch and motor, because there is no place to attach the capacitor to the motor

shotgun choker

Registered
I have all the ingredients to make this work except the nerve to hook it up. Somebody need to step up and explain this to me.

shotgun choker

Registered
the switch is like this For Off Rev Forward thru the top 2, thru the second 2 and thru the 4th pair.
0 0 0 0 0 0 Reverse thru the top 2, and cross the second pair with the 4th pair.
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Hi shotgun choker,
i had a few moments ,
i got a solution for you.
here is the diagram for your switch and motor . :grin:

BODINE MOTOR DIAGRAM BI DIRECTIONAL.jpg

a thousand pardons for the low quality rendering, my paint-fu is very weak :tranquility:

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
LOL . Now you know why my equipment hasn't been hooked up yet ………………………..all this looks like Chinese arithmetic to me !
:bang head:

kb58

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
The OP needs to hire an electrician. By the nature of his posts, it's the only way to ensure that this turns out well for all involved.

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Eh, what's the fun in that? Besides, sparks are cool
Mike you must be a switch-whisperer, post 24 didn't gel for me

Last edited:
[5] [7]