Help me wire a drum switch

shotgun choker

Registered
Registered
I have a 115volt Bodine gear motor (sn 415vy9016) that I need to wire to a forward- off - reverse switch, it has 2 black and 2 blue wires going to the windings, with a green wire to ground, no visible compositor. Can this be wired to work?

Probably but you haven't given us enough information. Bodine motors that I have seen do use an external capacitor. The name plate usually says what capacitor is required. Typically it will be something like a 15 MFD motor run capacitor. It looks like you gave us the serial number but not the model number of the motor. Data sheets and wiring diagrams are available on the Bodine website for many motors.

Here is a link to one wiring diagram. It is pretty typical but may NOT be correct for your motor. https://www.bodine-electric.com/?action=file_download&file=wiring-diagram-07410296

I don't know anything about wiring. I took a look at the diagram but don't know what the word tracer means. What I need to know is where to attach each wire to the switch, it has 6 places to put wires

Can you post the diagram you have? A close up of your switch would help too

I don't have one, I looked inside the motor, no diagram. It has a blue and a black wire attached to each side of the winding

Tracer means "stripe". For example, black with yellow tracer means black with yellow stripe

Ok with the type number "Type NCI-12RG" I was able to find a 1996 catalog online. The catalog also lists a reference to the correct wiring diagram.
This is the catalog page that matches that number:

bodine_motor_cat_pg15.png

Here is the wiring diagram circled in red.

Bodine07410005WireDiagram.PNG

Note that this diagram does not show tracers on the wires. It does show a capacitor.

What type of switch are you planning to use? Manufacture and part number would be good.

Here is a link to the 1996 Bodine catalog where I found the information above:

https://www.bodine-electric.com/core/files/bodineelectric/resources/8a43a68aa73c34dc1d94fb9bfabce8ef.pdf

Back