[Newbie] Help needed - chuck jaws locked

Well, i finally got the chuck disassembled. My theory on the plug of swarf was half right - it did cause the problem but not how it I was guessing. The plug broke out/deformed the thin wall of the screw hole, which pushed enough material into the way of the scroll gear to lock it in tight. The scroll gear will not seat currently and I'm not going to force it.

The picture makes it look worse due to reflected light, but it's enough to interfere. So next question, how do i fix it? I'm thinking I could get a machinist to turn it down or hone it, or I could just go at it with a die grinder. It doesn't look fatal to me, but I'm inexperienced.

View attachment 292057

Wow,

I would probably use a half round file first and if that's slow going(or it's too hard) use the die grinder carefully. Always the need to clean is good after using abrasives etc.

After you have removed the lump you could try re assembling it and see how it works.

Stu

Yup, wow!

No need to have it machined. Just knock the high down with a file, dremel, sandpaper, whatever. It won't affect anything if you grind it lower than the rest of that ID. Even if you were left with a hole, once clean & assembled swarf shouldn't really be able to get in there.

I'd dremel it smooth using the sanding drums in different grits. And it looks like the one jaw slot in picture shows where it got in . I'd guess the missing screws let it start and got caught in the scroll. The shiny brasse wear spot in the picture. Oh wow I looked again and I think it got pushed out tightening the screw in the hole , a chip or hard weld splatter got in there and stuck till you put the screw in. That would explain the creak noise.

Oh wow I looked again and I think it got pushed out tightening the screw in the hole , a chip or hard weld splatter got in there and stuck till you put the screw in. That would explain the creak noise.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. I dremeled the breakout flush, greased and oiled the chuck, and it's working just fine. Thanks everyone who contributed.

By any chance did you check the scroll plate for any damage? Just wondering how it faired through all the stress and it maybe got bent which would probably cause you runout issues?

It didn't have any edge damage, but I didn't think to check for warpage. Everything took a hell of a beating during the process. Including me.

Im happy you managed to get it working but am very curious as to how well it works after your battle if you wouldn't mind sharing with us?

How did the tap feel when you ran it into the hole after grinding to clean up the threads?

Back