Help needed - on removing EE cross slide leadcrew

JIMINY

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
I am the proud owner of a 10EE 1943 round dial lathe. Unfortunately the other day I was trying to part some 2" aluminum and it did not go well. The tool - a standard knife parting tool in an Aloris type tool post, dug in and the blade snapped right off.
Investigating why this happened, knowing that dig ins with parting tools are not unheard of, I found that I can move the cross slide by hand almost 1/8 of an inch! Side to side movement is not an issue.
So I decided to remove the cross slide to see what the issue was.. it seems that the lead screw / nut on the cross slide is the problem. I need to diagnose further and want to remove the lead screw from the cross slide assembly.
Don't want to remove more than necessary. Just the crossslide lead screw and nut. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to do this without damaging anything>
Your help is much appreciated.. !

Jiminy, if you don't have a manual, call Monarch give them your serial # and they will sell you a manual for your particular machine and can also tell how it came equipped from factory. If you don't get an answer here I would check in at Practical Machinist board, there is 15 years or more of Monarch archives of posts surely some of them relate to your task. rkepler for one has done numerous rebuilds, you might check his posts over there.

michael

Thanks Guys
I downloaded the manual but it says nothing about dismantling at all. I have done a LOT of reading before posting this, on both boards. I am sure someone here has removed the cross slide screw and nut on a round dial and can recall the sequence and most importantly any gotchas.
The only gotcha I have read on the topic has been to drop the saddle to prevent damaging a washer.
Parts are expensive on this lathe. Monarch were kind enough to quote me 1500+ for the screw and nut.
Just looking for someone who can save me further grief?

Thanks Brino,
The newer square dial manual has better drawings for sure.. hopefully there are no changes in the cross slide area..
Jim

First, check to see that the crossfeed nut is mounted tightly to the slide. That will be, by far, the easiest fix. If you have a taper attachment, this could get a bit extensive, but my recollection if that the 10EE has an adjustable crossfeed nut. Pictures would help and a cellphone camera will get into places that only a borescope would go a few years ago....

I have removed the cross slide.. I can grab the cross slide feed nut between my thumb and finger and move it by hand on the lead screw.. I am thinking that's not good. The movement by hand is the same as I was moving by pushing /pulling on the cross slide with everything connected.
Having removed the cross slide, I now need to remove the cross slide lead screw and feed nut, clean it and examine the wear more closely.
I have removed the 2 bolts connecting the crossfeed handle/dials to the saddle, but the lead screw only moves out about 1/4 inch.. something is still preventing it from being removed from the saddle. Do I need to remove all the wipers and undo the saddle from the apron to allow the dial/leadscrew assembly to be removed? I will try to post a picture.

Monarch has the drawings for a round dial EE. Regarding the cross slide lead screw , that is the same price they quoted me 15 years ago. I passed and choose to live with my back lash. A friend, tried one of the $350 lead screws advertised by Miller Machine, cnc made, la di da di da. Worked great except for the periodic error at random points of screw. He could be up to .001 off from reading then go back to dead nuts, then off a thou. So he chucked it and bought the Monarch one for 1500. No periodic error, he can easily split lines on dial and hit a couple or 3 tenths anywhere on screw. 1500 is a chunk of change but if you want an extremely accurate screw they have it.

Thanks for the reply,
I will contact Monarch and see if they could share the drawing with me. The problem for me is, I don't think I can use a parting tool safely with that much backlash on grabby materials. Gotta get it down to a more reasonable amount.. definitely not 0.125"!

Back