Help on Bridgeport quill handle not returning.

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all, could I get some opinions on this perdickerment I'm in.
This problem hasn't been fixed since I bought this and I think now is a good time.
With the quill half way up and the quill stop engaged, when I release the stop lever, instead of the quill returning on it's own to teh up position, it falls down instead. Here's some pics

Handle removed
DSC09785.JPG
spring housing removed
DSC09787.JPG

DSC09796.JPG
the spring catch
DSC09801.JPG

No signs of anything broken. I've never seen a new spring catch , so I don't know if this one is still good or what. I am thinking that maybe the spring broke one time in it's 55 years and when the guy replaced it, he may have put it in backwards? Is that even possible? If so, who's got teh sure fire way to pop this puppy out and switch the rotation?

Thanks and Merry Christ mas y'all

Mutt

The spring looks right for the catch on the shaft. I had to think about it for a bit with it being pictured backwards. The rotation looks right. Make sure it catches on the shaft - you can feel it if you rotate when you slip it on. Rotate it and see if it slips once its engaged on the shaft. It may not be fixed inside the housing and just slipping.

Doesn't look like the other end is caught on the pin of the housing. 3rd pic down.

when ya hold the spring housing in your left hand with the spring facing left , and ya wind the spring, the force of the spring turns in the direction of what would be the quill being pushed down. Also, I can't feel the spring really catch when I try to wind it on it's shaft. It tries, but then fails and continues turning without any tension

That's what I was thinking its hard to tell from the photo. The real test is if the housing spins when rotated and the spring is engaged on the shaft.

It sounds like its not attached to the housing. The housing needs to be rotated clockwise to load the spring.

You can bend the end of the spring with needle nose or duckbill pliers to get the hole in a position it can catch on the pin/screw. I think maybe you have a bit too little radius at the end by what it looks like.

I actually learned something I did not know on the last video. I have always wound them tight enough to pull the quill back up. I've never had one break so maybe I've been lucky.

Check the pin and the spring on the other end of the coil inside the cup also. I have seen some break loose there and not the shaft end. If it is that then the spring will start to tension then slip inside the cup because the pin is not holding.

Back