Help Organizing My Gerstner O52

BILL, WHEN ARE YOU PLANNING ON SENDING ME A SET OF GERSTNER PLANS THAT YOU PROMISED SO I CAN BUILD ONE FOR MYSELF. I'M NOT GOING TO LIVE FOREVER.

Best way is put the things you use most I the drawers on your left side or right if it's where you grab the quickest . I always kept a pad and pencil and pins markers in the top , along with my calculator . Everything else was just preference.

This is how I organized my 52 box;
Top till: things too big for drawers, 12" vernier caliper, inside mike set, vee blocks, telescoping gage set, dial indicator in box.
top right drawer: thread gages and sharpening gages.
second left drawer: center punches and scribers and similar tools.
third left drawer: pin vise set, adjustable parallel set, radius gages, special mikes.
top right drawer: calipers and dividers
second right drawer: scales and rules up to 6" and similar items, set of wire gage drills.
third right drawer: 1-2-3 blocks, screw jacks, small vee blocks.
upper long drawer, most of my mikes, outside up to 6", depth mikes, and standards; all are separated by 1/4" hard felt, carved out to fit each tool.
second long drawer: Scales longer than 6" and straightedges, combination square set, and another set of telescoping gages.
third long (bottom drawer): trammel set, 12" vernier gear caliper, taper parallel set, parallel clamps and a LOT of other misc. stuff.
Center drawer: Machinery's Handbook, ed. early 1960s.
Please note that I do not keep any cutting tools in my box, other than a set of wire gage drills #60-80 in my box; I like to keep the felt lining fairly clean, not oil soaked; keep cutting tools elsewhere!
I keep most of my dial indicator stuff in a card file drawer that is handy to the shop, I keep my Gerstner box, which cost me $76 back in the day, inside a separate office room, along with all the other measuring tools that do not fit in the 52, most of which are in their own wood boxes. This arrangement keeps rust at bay during the winter/ spring; I do keep other mikes at hand and often used tools close at hand, mostly in a cabinet that I made for use in front of the lathe, it has one large drawer for small tools and shelves for accessories below and a rack for Aloris tooling behind it.
I may put up some pictures if any of 'yalls want to see them.

I don't know if my camera has enough memory for ALL my stuff!

It looks like some duplicates sunk in there, and also there several pics of what is in the lower unit that were not described in the earlier text.

Here goes nothing! I have much much. more on open shelves. It's taken me about 52 years to accumulate what I have.

You did repeat pics, that’s cheating, LOL. And you are just starting off! That’s nothing! You need to go out this weekend and get more stuff! How are you going to be a tolaholic with just that little bit of stuff! You have a long ways to go, get busy! But seriously looks great!

Last edited:
I don't need to get out, I have E Bay! I had a machine shop for over 40 years when I sold it, I brought home a lot of stuff that the buyer did not want or need (my call); there was much there that was not appraised, simply went with the business, so I did not feel so bad about "thinning" things out.

Back