Help picking carbide insert for my lathe.

Iron-Iceberg

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some recommendations for Carbide inserts. I’ve been cutting some hard metal, Stainless and welded parts and I keep dulling my HSS tools. After regrinding them multiple times I realize I need to try something else.

I don’t know anything about what to get that would work with the holders and the lathe that I have.

If you have a brand and part number that you like that would be very helpful as I don’t know how all the different brands numbers work.

This is the Kennametal holder that I have.

https://www.kennametal.com/us/en/products/p.html

I have a Clausing Lathe 6922 14” x 48” So i think it has pretty good power and speed to run a carbide insert tool.

Thanks for any help.

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some recommendations for Carbide inserts. I’ve been cutting some hard metal, Stainless and welded parts and I keep dulling my HSS tools. After regrinding them multiple times I realize I need to try something else.

I don’t know anything about what to get that would work with the holders and the lathe that I have.

If you have a brand and part number that you like that would be very helpful as I don’t know how all the different brands numbers work.

This is the Kennametal holder that I have.

https://www.kennametal.com/us/en/products/p.html

I have a Clausing Lathe 6922 14” x 48” So i think it has pretty good power and speed to run a carbide insert tool.

Thanks for any help.

The link didn’t work for me.

For my 16” lathe, I use A6 inserts that I buy directly from Aloris. No problems yet. I just made a .100” radial (turning) cut in 1045 steel last weekend. The parting insert quickly cut through the same with zero drama.

For my 10” lathe, I use the import carbide inserts that came with the import “shank kit”. Those have been stellar, actually!

I usually choose a very hard carbide because I almost always cut steel.

You can call Aloris & they will help you immediately on the phone. They always have a coupon code on their website, so best to get the PNs & then place the order online.

I must be rough on my inserts because I often have to rotate to a fresh tip or grab a fresh one.

Last edited:
Sorry here is a picture of the holder from the Kennametal website.

Attachments

• B99F5F48-942E-42E0-BFB3-5694F7B6F262.jpeg
    B99F5F48-942E-42E0-BFB3-5694F7B6F262.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
That bar is a SCLCR123 with a 3/4" shank. It takes a CCMT or CCGT 32.5X insert. For general use, a CCMT 32.51 insert with a 0.016" nose radius would work. Try searching ebay as this is a commonly available insert. Kennametal, Seco, Iscar, Valenite are good brands.

Sorry here is a picture of the holder from the Kennametal website.
If you take the number of the turning tool to the supplier where you buy the inserts they should be able to supply the proper insert for the tool. I have at least 50 turning tools, however a couple are so old that the inserts are no longer available.
Good luck.

That bar is a SCLCR123 with a 3/4" shank. It takes a CCMT or CCGT 32.5X insert. For general use, a CCMT 32.51 insert with a 0.016" nose radius would work. Try searching ebay as this is a commonly available insert. Kennametal, Seco, Iscar, Valenite are good brands.

Mikey has got it!

I use a 1/2" SCLCR as my go to for general turning. The inserts are positive rake meaning the cut with less HP and less cutting forces, but have a weaker edge than negative rake inserts. CCMT32.51 is a great all around insert. CCMT32.52 is more of a roughing insert with a wider nose radius, and CCMT32.50 is better for fine features and will support a smaller depth of cut.

I'm a hug fan of the CCGT32.50 and CCGX32.50 (pretty much same insert, different manufacturers). It is a razor sharp insert for non-ferrous and cuts similar to HSS. You can shave tenths off a part without rubbing with this. It also works nicely in steel (especially stainless) although the tool life isn't great.

I buy a lot of my every day inserts on eBay and AliExpress. Once I find one that works well, I'll stock up for $5-10 per box of 10. The CCGT inserts are pretty good although I've gotten some random grades and chipbreakers that are just garbage. You just have to try a few until you get one that works well for your needs.

I also have a small lot of name brand inserts which perform excellently. I save those for when I need the performance.

I have also recently really started liking the VCMT/VCGT inserts. The narrower angle gives great part access and super low cutting forces, although the whole tool is weaker than the CCMT/CCGT.

Back