Help picking carbide insert for my lathe.

I found it, stay away from cheap inserts labeled as grade "VP15TF". These are knockoffs claiming to be a grade from Mitsubishi for high temp super alloys and they cut like garbage on everything I've tried them on.

Example:

Mikey has got it!

I use a 1/2" SCLCR as my go to for general turning. The inserts are positive rake meaning the cut with less HP and less cutting forces, but have a weaker edge than negative rake inserts. CCMT32.51 is a great all around insert. CCMT32.52 is more of a roughing insert with a wider nose radius, and CCMT32.50 is better for fine features and will support a smaller depth of cut.

I'm a hug fan of the CCGT32.50 and CCGX32.50 (pretty much same insert, different manufacturers). It is a razor sharp insert for non-ferrous and cuts similar to HSS. You can shave tenths off a part without rubbing with this. It also works nicely in steel (especially stainless) although the tool life isn't great.

I buy a lot of my every day inserts on eBay and AliExpress. Once I find one that works well, I'll stock up for $5-10 per box of 10. The CCGT inserts are pretty good although I've gotten some random grades and chipbreakers that are just garbage. You just have to try a few until you get one that works well for your needs.

I also have a small lot of name brand inserts which perform excellently. I save those for when I need the performance.

I have also recently really started liking the VCMT/VCGT inserts. The narrower angle gives great part access and super low cutting forces, although the whole tool is weaker than the CCMT/CCGT.
You and Mikey saved me a bunch of time!

With the purchase of three different lathes in the past two years I wound up with two drawers full of mixed stuff I was always able to make work...mostly for a lantern setup, but just added a Bostar QCTP and was going blind reading about all the different holder and insert styles.

This thread narrowed it down to something I could start off with. I've got an SCLCR and SCLCL on the way along with a variety of CMMT inserts. I have some aluminum and bronze projects so I'm looking at the CCGT32.50 and CCGX32.50 as well...seems like they might be very handy. I was dreading reading another thread on inserts...lol

I use the same holder as the one pictured . I use all Valenite inserts and they are great . These turning tools are excellent for cnc lathes also .

I have some aluminum and bronze projects so I'm looking at the CCGT32.50 and CCGX32.50 as well...seems like they might be very handy. I was dreading reading another thread on inserts...lol

They're awesome I think. Once you get that project done, try them out for steel or stainless finishing or light machining or small parts. I bet you'll be surprised at how close it feels to working with HSS.

CCGT is the more common name. CCGT09T0302 is the metric equivalent to CCGT32.50 and CCMT09T0304 is the equivalent of CCGT32.51. Same exact insert, different naming convention.

Only place I've bought the CCGX32.50 insert is Shars tool. The inserts are ZCC brand, a very high quality Chinese brand (which carry almost the same price tag as Kennametal and Sandvik).

CCGT and CCGX are essentially the same thing.

Back