Help, please. Motor failure - Craftsman 2X42 Belt/Disc Grinder. Appreciate any/all ideas.

bill70j

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a Taiwanese-made Craftsman grinder like shown in the photo about 30 years ago. It has been trouble-free, but recently the motor started popping and sparking so I took it apart and it looks to me like the motor stator is burned up.

I want to keep the machine and would like to hear any and all ideas on how to get it going again.

Here is what I have found out so far:
  1. No replacement parts available from "Sears."
  2. Jet Model J-41002 looks like a similar machine and shares the same drawings. The Jet website shows a motor assembly in stock for $334.
  3. The Jet Model is advertised on Azon Pme for $499.
  4. I am trying not to be too emotionally attached to the machine to consider alternatives to keeping it.
  5. The only money I have in the machine beyond initial purchase is 4 belt drum replacement bearings and 2 pieces of PyroCeram glass for upgrading the belt platen
What would you folks do? Thanks!!

Particulars:

Here is an online stock photo of the Craftsman machine
Craftsman Belt Disc Sander.jpg

Here are photos of the burned stator

1-Stator.jpg2-Stator.jpg

Here is the complete motor assembly
0-Motor Assembly.jpg

Here is the main casting and stand for the machine

3-Stand.jpg1-Stand.jpg

If the cost of the motor is prohibitive, consider as an option the various companies which will re-wind a motor. This is assuming the bearings are still in good shape on the motor. As likely as not, the damaged area is probably only in one or two spots.

Theres no way I’d be tossing the belt and disk attachments. It will be interesting to see if the motor can be rewound. I didnt have any luck with motor rebuilders back when they were local, so I don’t have any idea how an online rebuilder would be. I have to admit I do get attached to stuff I’ve had a long time. Cars, appliances no, machines yes. $334 for just the motor seems high, but I guess when you break it down it’s not too bad if its just bolt it on and everything is like new.

Bill: measure the shaft diameter; likely you'll find it to be a metric size. If so the Jet replacement is probably your only option.
You might take a look in the Grainger catalog and see if they have something with dual shafts that could replace it. If the shaft is larger you could turn it down on the lathe to fit.
Getting it rewound is an option too, do an internet search
-Mark

If you are looking for a third party replacement motors.

There are a lot of critical measurements. Shaft diameter, shaft length. body diameter (assuming the mounting base can be disconnected from the motor itself), Body length, to make sure it keeps the same critical distance between the sanding disk and the belt sander pully, etc... It may be tough to find in a drop-in equivalent.

I had the same problem with mine, my son told me to scrap the whole thing but instead I made an adapter arbor for the belt drive pulley and made this. Best part is my son has been making extensive use of it building the header for his race car! It's not pretty, but it works.
Richard20200917_140855.jpg

Back