Help, please, with a Covel 10-PH Surface Grinder

cvuxton

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just bought a Covel 10 PH grinder and I have to ask...Does anyone own one of these? I found one or two references to this model but no information. I posted in another forum and got one response. I'd like to talk with anyone who owns a 10-PH, not the 10H

Last edited:
The red X syndrome again! Try reposting your picture again using your PC, not your phone.

I was wondering what that was. Edit fixed it. I have some pictures but they won't be of much interest unless you have a 10-PH. Shows a small steel box that was tipped over in the base and two gray tubes that are open at the bottom. Oil all over inside.

I needed to have bought a more popular surface grinder.

Wow. Thanks for getting back to me. We must be the only two people that have these things. I have manuals for the 7, 10H, and the Clausing version of the 10H. I saw the machine under power and its smooth and quiet. Not realizing how top heavy it is we dropped it. Two of the control wheels were broken but seeing as all three were welded at some time in the past, I think this has happed before. I have been taking parts off, cleaning and replacing screws and pins. Getting the handles repaired. I even figured out what a loose piece of sheet metal was from (was spot welded to the "blind affair" at the top. Two pop rivets fixed that and I have a new piece of Teflon sheet to repair the blind.) But my main question is about the hydraulics. The motor and pumps are not secured to the base. When it fell there was a lot of oil all over the floor. When we got it up-righted we found a metal box about the size of a small shoebox inside tipped over. Its the same color (orange) as the inside of the base so I figured it belonged in there. Also looking into the base, on the left side, are two gray plastic tubes that come down from the top somewhere. They are both open at the bottom. So the question is, what are these for? What about the box? I'm using a VFD to power both motors. Actually found a youtube describing how to do it. One guy did tell me that its hard to prime the pump. I can send pictures of the stuff from the base I'm talking about if you can send me an email. I really appreciate you getting back to me. Oh, where are you? I'm in northern VA.
Chris
cvuxton@yahoo.com

I did the same thing. Turned it over and broke hand wheels and cross feed screw. There is a guy at the Clausing repair center who sent me a manual. He also had the original drawings and sent me the ones I needed. I have lost his email address but you can call and ask for Andrew. A friend has a large machine shop and made me a new cross feed screw and nut. Mine is also hydraulic. The pump is a power steering pump that was used on some tractors. It takes a type A transmission fluid that is not available. Local transmission shop said they used anything that was not synthetic. I set mine up on the bench with new hoses and had no trouble. You may have to work it back and forth to get all the air from the system. The box you are talking about receives the excess oil from the cross feed ways. It isn't very accessible as it is so I moved it outside the base. The best cleaner I have found is Purple Power from Walmart. If you leave your parts in it a couple of days, the paint will get soft. I washed some of the paint off with a water hose. I used a pump up sprayer and sprayed the big parts. If you spray the several times you can remove a lot of the paint. I got side tracked because my wife had a knee replacement and I have to help her but I will be back on it. If I can be of any help let me know.

I have the manual and drawings. The manual shows a belt drive but everything else is the same. I can email you everything I have if you want.

Thanks. I would appreciate that. email is cvuxton@yahoo.com

I took a chance and opened (folded it out) the box the relays came in and found a number for a mounting bracket. $20 to China and they should be on their way. That will make mounting it easier. I have a Chinese (is there any other kind?) VFD. It was the right HP (3 for both motors) but I should have gotten a more popular brand. All I really want to do with it is hook up an external on/off switch. I think I may be able to do it through the relays also. This may be past my electrical knowledge level.

Back