HELP!!! Power Supply Troubles!!!

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I finally got my CNC electronics done (YEAH!) and I'm ready to add the ball screws, mounts, etc.

However, I'm having real issues with the motor power supplies. I'm using two 350 W (48 V, 7.3 A) switching power supplies from Automation Technologies bought via eBay.

I have them wired for 120 V with one powering the NEMA 34 motor and the other powering both NEMA 23 motors. I can't get them to consistently power on. I had trouble with one from the start that would only power on once every 10 tries or so. Now, that one is powering on consistently. The other PS was solid at first, but now it won't come on at all. I've tried removing the load and it seems to have no affect.

I'm at loss trying to figure this out. There's no power switch and both are set to 120 V.

Anyone else have this trouble? I'm ready to toss them across the room! The seller is willing to refund my money.

Get a refund or swap them out with the vendor. I have one from them and it works great all the time. A power supply should never act like that, if it does, it's got issues.

Get a refund or swap them out with the vendor. I have one from them and it works great all the time. A power supply should never act like that, if it does, it's got issues.

I was planning on sending the first one back, but now the other is doing the same thing. It makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

I agree, but it doesn't turn on when I have no load on it either. Makes no sense!

Sounds like a bad power supply, not unheard of.

Are your drivers limited to 48V?

Sounds like a bad power supply, not unheard of.

Are your drivers limited to 48V?

But, both of them?

The DM542T is rated 50 V max and the DM860T is rated at 100 V max.

Not sure why both would fail. I assume your input voltage to them is correct.

In that case I would run the DM860T at near 100VDC, your motor performance will be much better.

I would still use toroidal power supplies for motor power, they are almost bullet proof.

Back