Help Request: Fitting A D1 Back Plate To A 4 Jaw

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I really like my "new" 15" Colchester.
However, I miss my 4jaw. Just seemed to hold everything tighter without cranking on the chuck jaws. I don't find that set-up really takes that much time.
Courtesy of Ulmadoc I've got a vintage 10inch independent 4jaw which I can mount.
This spindle takes a D1-6 backing plate.
The diameter to the shoulder is a little less than 6inches.
This includes both the D1-6 camlocks and the mounting screws to the 10inch periphery of the chuck itself.

My question:
Should the backing plate extend to the periphery of the chuck?
Or, is it adequate to extend only as far as the shoulder?
I'm actually wondering if a 6inch backing plate with a press fit is advantageous, as she'd have less rotational weight and would allow a hand to hold the recessed cavity in the back of the chuck.

Note: I purchased a 10inch D1-6 backplate online. Then the eBay vendor canceled the order, refunded my money, and relisted at triple the price. Arrrgh.

Thank you!
Daryl
MN

It only has to come out to the shoulder. I like having the hand-holds, myself.

Thank you!
It's helpful to have the confirmation.

Daryl
MN

I agree with Tony. I have two 4 jaw chucks on D1-4 mounting plates, both are much smaller than the actual chuck and fit into a machined recess. The casting details in back of the chuck make a nice place to hang onto. David

Thank you, I'm intentionally on the prowl for a D1-6 with a smaller backplate.
You've both made this decision easier, especially as they are more plentiful and less expensive.
Near as I can tell, any back on which I can make the shoulder/boss fit the plain back chuck will work.

Daryl
MN

Back