Help returning 13 x 36 round head feed gears to 'standard'

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
The lathe is a 13 x 36 round head. The drive gears are set to half the standard or engraved amount. Is there a document or pdf that explains how to change them back to 'standard'. I have not seen a photograph or instructions.
Thanks, Dan

I assume that the lathe has a QCGB and that all of the feeds are one-half of what the engraved figures say. I cannot check to see whether or not we have an operator's manual that should show the gear train to produce the engraved figures because you did not give a make and model number for the lathe. So all that I can say is that you will have to look yourself in Downloads after reading the instructions for using it. And also, I have to mention that access to Downloads requires Donor status (any level).

However, if the lathe includes a sliding gear that can mesh with either of the two gears of a compound gear, that may be your culprit.

Thank you for the reply. I cannot find a model number. The serial number indicates it was made in 1957. I assume you are talking about the 3 gears behind the belt housing ocver on the left side and not the gears in the drive / feed gear box in front? These gears are driven by the spindle and end up driving the gear box.
The manuals I have seen indicate / refer to knurled knobs that are loosened and spare gears. That all seems vague, I was wondering if there were specific instructions somewhere?
I will try to create a photo this evening. I am sure it is simple, but I have made enough mistakes I would like to avoid another one.
Thank you, Dan

OK. What you need to do is to come up with the model number first. To do that, as you have apparently determined that it was built in 1957, is to find a 1957 catalog for whomever made the lathe. Look at the photographs in the catalog and find your machine. That will show the model number. Then find the manual for that model number.

There are also several publication reprints at Vintage Machinery, including a 13x36 manual.

F4E94735-CF52-4AF0-85F3-07C9C78D38D3.png6FBF7AB8-5F12-4069-89A3-4DFA6DBE7C3B.png

Thank you. There is apparantly no model number. The lathe is simply 'Heavy Duty Geared Head Precision Lathe 13x36'
I looked at the diagram in the manual above. I could not find a procedure for returning the lathe to 'normal'. Dan

Yeah, I've had to come to the same conclusion (no model number assigned). If you are relatively certain that you have come up with the correct manual, including the parts list, what you do is to assume that the parts list follows the usual practice of showing the parts in the as-shipped configuration and then any additional parts. Then reassemble the drive train between the spindle and the QCGB according to the manual. It should then work as advertised.

There are 3 gears on the LH end of the head.....they are standard Colchester change gears......however ,I suspect you have only the ones fitted at present......all you need is the correct gears installed....from memory,driver and driven are the same,large idler is not relevant ,provided the gear train is not compounded............Also from memory,the train needs a spacer on the feed box shaft......and commonly a gear is used.....so check if the gear you want is being used as a spacer on this shaft.

Back