Help selecting (understanding) carbide selection

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
So I came across an incredible error on pricing on Amazon. I purchased a Mitsubishi 1/2" boring bar for $ 34. Immediately after purchasing it went back up to $180 which seems to be the norm. There were recommendations on what inserts to use with it, which I also purchased from a supplier here in Denver. They are Mitsubishi as well and their website says they should be 3/8" but what I received is 1/2" . Disappointing as these are $14 each! Anyway, before I came to the conclusion that I was sent the wrong inserts, i had to give myself a crash course lesson in the understanding of the coding of inserts. Not gonna lie....still very lost.
I have the formula of the 1st through 10th numbers and what they are supposed to represent. I'm not finding it to be easy to follow. I'm just gonna throw down layman attempt at this maybe we can discuss.
1) insert shape.
T for triangle
2) relief
N for 0
3) tolerance
not sure, seems as if E is the norm
4) clamping system
T one sided with chip breaker
5) size
16 equals 9.525mm (3/8" )
6) thickness
not sure as it didn't come with one...let's say
03 (3.18 mm)
7) comer radius
Again, don't know let's say
04 (.04)n
8) cut edge
since its for threading, let's say
F sharp edges
9) cut direction
R right-hand
10) chip breaker style
don't know, let's say L.P.
what does all that equate to?
TNET160304RLP
Now, nothing like that exists. Can someone help me understand this? If it has value to the convo, my tool is
Mitsubishi MMTIR102-0.60-2.5C
THANK YOU!

You’ve got the right approach to decoding the manufacturer’s details but either some of your info is incomplete or the code on the box isn’t fully detailed. I buy a lot of surplus inserts and not all codes are standardised, especially the grades, which are proprietary, so I keep a cheat-sheet handy for the common manufacturers. You can download it (it’s free but comes with no warranty!) at https://www.felstedskiver.com/workshop/DS30-Inserts_for_indexable_tooling.pdf
This should help you decode all but the most obscure codes. If you’re still not sure, could you upload an image of the label on the insert box and I’ll see if I can help.

Mal

Thanks Mal! Though I would love help selecting The correct insert (which I believe I did, but I think what They sent doesn't match what part number should be. These are 1/2" not 3 /8" as Mitsubishi say they should be.
This is kind of "giving a man a fish versus teaching him to fish". I do badly would like a somewhat working understanding to ordering inserts. I have many AccuSize tools that will need new inserts, though I can just copy what was there, i would like to get better fits when needed. There are so many combinations and I feel I'm shorting myself if I just replicate. I will be doing titanium stainless and copper, and even the base metal has a lot of options.
Thanks much,
Sean

Sorry...forgot pictures.

Attachments

• 2019-07-13_08-06-13_503.jpg
    2019-07-13_08-06-13_503.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2019-07-13_08-05-34_487.jpg
    2019-07-13_08-05-34_487.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2019-07-13_08-05-17_325.jpg
    2019-07-13_08-05-17_325.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 25
Sean,

Threading inserts don’t follow the international standard completely because it doesn’t include more complex tip shapes, but a lot of the code is still meaningful.

You show two codes that only differ by one letter:
MMT 16ERA60-S VP15TF
MMT 16ERG60-S VP15TF

The first 3 letters refer to shape. The first M is a Mitsubishi code, the second M likely refers to tolerance and the T to the hole/chip breaker, though the T could also refer to the triangular shape.

Next comes the size and here the code is close to standard. The 16 refers to the edge length of the triangle in this case 16mm (your tool is designed for 11mm inserts so there’s one mismatch). The E is used to refer to whether the insert is for Internal (I) or External (E) use, in this case you have external inserts but an internal tool so another mismatch. The RA60 refers to a thread angle of 60 degrees but only a partial profile. I can’t find a reference to GA60 so these inserts may be obsolete. The -S indicates the tip radius is 0.001mm. Without the -S the radius would be 0.002mm. This is a very sharp tip for threading and is probably intended for cutting very fine pitch threads.

VP15TF is the grade. If you refer to the grade tables in my cheat-sheet you’ll see it’s a general ferrous metal coated grade.

Hope this helps,

Mal

Carbide Depot has an excellent insert chart check it out very simple to navigate

So Mal, in a very simplified level, I would need a T-i -11-R tool? It must be triangular it must internal it must be 11mm and it must be right direction. I have just found it doesn't exist this way (not the tool, but the numbers) I though I read this TOOL has the relief built in so I need 0 relief angle of it will be multiplied.
since I'm not going to get this convoluted, not standardized "system", can you lead me to a frame and exact model to purchase? I will be doing fine threads and course threads, hence the 2 inserts I thought I purchased.
Cheers

First of all that is a threading insert like it has been pointed out. My rule of thumb is on purchasing inserts is 1st if it’s a heavy use insert (in my case a CNMG) type I’ll try to by surplus inserts off of eBay, or other sources. Also I’m not a brand snob but it seems the Japanese, Sandvick, Kenametal, and Iscar has the best life. If you get a good steel grade it will cover 90% of your turning needs. 2nd inserts are standard geometry so you can buy imported Chinese tool holders and put good inserts in them ( unless you find a deal on the name brand holder )

The only time I ran into a problem is I was gifted a boring bar from Solid Rock. Steve sent a Sumitomo insert and recommended a certain insert. I found some of the same inserts in a Sandvick on eBay for about 1/2 the price. However the screw bore is .010 smaller than the Sumitomo one. So I’ve had to order them at full price “ouch”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go to the web page for the MMT insert holder it gives some references as to the recommended inserts, you can use any brand. The key factor is the size which is an 11 IR which is the insert size (1/4") and that it is an internal thread only. The next numbers are the type of thread, so an A60 or AG60 is a partial profile 60 degrees denoting the thread pitch range.

So if you are looking for inserts you need either one of the following:
11 IR A60 for a right hand internal thread with a pitch range of 48-16 OR
11 IR AG60 for a right hand internal thread with a pitch range of 48-8 (not shown in table but available)
If you are doing left hand internal threads then an 11 IL insert is specified.

An external lay down threading tool is different and looks like this which is a 16 ER AG60 doinng a 7/8-14 thread:

The lathe holder information I have previously posted, it gives some common holders and insert designation. If you need more specifics for your other holders you can either post here or pm me and I can help.
Mark

Attachments

• Lathe tool holders and inserts recommendations.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Back