[How do I?] Help! Trying to figure out wiring on my new to me mill!

Armourer

Registered
Registered
Well the time had finally came to move my new mill into the shop, but I have no idea how its wired right now. On the electrical junction box on the back theres a sticker that says 110V or 220V 1 Phase 4 wire. Which makes sense as the cord out of the back is a four wire cord to the wall. So I went to the motor on it and took the junction box apart on it and theres just 3 wires going to it, one ground wire, a white and a black. Not four wires. I have a 110v 20 amp plug right were I want to put the mill, question is how to I wire the motor to run on the 110V? Or should I get an electrician to come wire a 220V plug for me? The mill in question is a Craftex B048. Thanks all.

Plug it into 110V and see what happens; if the motor starts with vigor, you're good to go, if it is lethargic, it is likely connected for 220V.
You say you looked into the junction box, does that mean the connection box on the motor? If not, find that box and look inside, and if there are four wires, you have a dual voltage motor, likely if the (possible) 4 wires are hooked in pairs to the power, it is connected for low volts, if connected with supply to 2 of the wires and two are hooked together and taped over, it is connected for high volts.

Does the motor have a tag on it? Typically, motors have a tag on them with all the information you need, including how to wire if dual voltage. If you can find a tag on the motor, but don't understand how to interpret the information on how to wire, take a picture of it and post it here and someone can help you.

Ted

Thanks for the replies, there is no plug on the end of the cord just 4 bare wires on it. There is a junction box were the 4 wires go to, theres no wiring diagram under it and under the motor junction box there is no diagram either and also no tag on it. I can try and take a few pics here and post them. If I can figure out how to do that lol.

4 bare wires makes me think 220V, L1, L2, Neutral, Ground. Not that Neutral makes a lot of sense on most machines and is unused. None of my 220V stuff uses it and I don't connect it.

You might have to trace out the wiring and figure out how it's set up. If you got it used, you might ask the previous owner how they had it wired. That would at least give you a clue about how it's set up.

I'm wondering if there was at one time a reversing switch that was or gets wired in??? Do you need to be able to reverse the motor?

I'm just taking stabs in the dark here with the limited information we have to work with...

Ted

Reversing is always nice to have, but used much more on a lathe.

Use a multitester to see the voltage on each line.Gives us more info.

Power cord comes in this JB

IMG_3608.JPG

This is inside the JB were the power cord comes into
IMG_3610.JPG

Motor wires here inside the JB please note that I have disconnected the wires going to the motor as I had to pull it off. I labeled them as I took them off, Black and White.

IMG_3611.JPG

This is inside the power switch to turn it on,

IMG_3609.JPG

Something I never said before was that there is also a 110V plug on the side of the mill, for the DRO and also the power feed. Hope this helps, I can try and get more or better pics if it would help! Thanks again all!

There is no reverse switch on it either, I don't know why they never put a wiring diagram any where on it, I bought it at an auction so I have no info on the previous owner. I have the owners manual and it doesnt show in there how to wire it either..

Those have a 3/4hp motor which is right on the border of 120 or 240 volt for efficiency. 240 volt would be preferred; runs cooler and easier on the switches (less current)
Try it on 120 first
mark

Back