Help Understanding my Furnas switch Wiring...

tcweb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a SB9 with a 1/3HP motor (an older Delta/Rockwell/Marathon motor).
My starter cap recently died, and I thought while I wait for the replacement to show up, I'd decipher my wiring and try to see how difficult it would be to swap in a newer Dayton motor.

Let's start with the easy part: my Furnas switch.

furnas1.PNG

Now here's how it's currently wired:

sb9 wiring.PNG

To me, CW and CCW are not intuitive, as the motor plate describes (CW) as how my motor is wired when the switch is in reverse. So the older standard must define CW/CCW as looking from the NON-shaft end of the motor?

If that is true, great. then I understand the wiring as diagramed above. I assume then that the "black" and "blue" wires coming out of the motor are the run winding, and between terminals 2 and 3 is the start winding. (but this is where I could use some confirmation...)

Next I'll draw up my Dayton motor - that has everything going to a terminal block under the motor cover plate. Even if my cap arrives before I get this figured out, I'd STILL like to better understand this, so I can swap out for a 1/2 HP motor down the road.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Here is the Dayton motor that I'd like to wire to my Lathe.

dayton motor info.JPG

And here is the physical connection block:

dayton physical connection block.JPG

Since the data plate says "to reverse rotation, interchange red and black", I assume that means that red and black are the two ends of the start winding, correct? There is clearly a block marked "1", which would be Line in, so that's a no brainer.

By process of elimination, does that make Brown and White the ends of the run winding?

So would my plan be to disconnect all of the above wires from the Dayton's connection block, and connect them from the harness coming from my Furnas switch?

Since this is a dual-voltage motor, does that complicate things?

Sorry, I am NOT a motor guy. But I'm trying to learn.

-Tom

Here are they Dayton terminals labelled:
dayton-labelled2.png

I've never really understood if the terminal block are just there for convenience (so we don't have to use wire nuts, etc), or if there are ends of windings attached to the back side of the terminal block.

-Tom

Hi Tom- on the original motor the black and blue are probably the start winding, and yes they might be backwards as far as cw/ccw orientation; there is no universal standard as far as I know.
There are connections behind the terminal board which makes it difficult to figure out the reversing hookups on these, not a convenience in my opinion. Unless you are a masochist don't worry about the connections until you really need to.
The old 1/3 horsepower is fine for a SB9- hopefully the new cap will get you going again.
Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm still interested in how I'd go about mapping a new motor, just in case...

If we hobbyists don't start picking up knowledge from the gurus, we'll be really stuck in 10-20 years. :)

-Tom

Back