Help valuing an operational steam engine with boiler

oldplanecollector

Registered
Registered
While purchasing a wooden machinist toolbox from a gentleman today I found a functioning steam engine in his garage that he wants to sell but doesn't know what its worth. The engine was originally used in a machine shop but the original boiler was rotted away so in the 50's or 60's they had a shop that built boilers make a new coal fired boiler. Says it was only run 10 time or so. Was put on display in the front office of the machine shop before it went out of business and he acquired it and has kept it in his garage.

Not sure if pictures do it justice, but the boiler and engine are in really good condition and since it's all mounted on a skid it would be something that could be hauled to shows and fired up. The St Louis History museum wanted him to donate it to them so they could put it on display, but he'd rather get some money out of it.

I was hoping someone here might have an idea of a value range I can pass on to this guy. He wants to sell it, but is in no hurry and would like to get as much as he can for it.

2013-10-23_12-34-22_622.jpg2013-10-23_12-34-40_990.jpg2013-10-23_12-35-11_657.jpg2013-10-23_12-35-26_684.jpg2013-10-23_12-36-57_826.jpg

2013-10-23_12-34-22_622.jpg 2013-10-23_12-34-40_990.jpg 2013-10-23_12-35-11_657.jpg 2013-10-23_12-35-26_684.jpg 2013-10-23_12-36-57_826.jpg

I read alot, lately that is. While I don't have any first hand experience with any steam I will say what I have read. Well among the antique engine/live steam crowd. If the boiler has a current hydro test and can pass it, it will be more valuable along with being easier to sell. I didnt look at your location, but you might want to get with an antique engine club or a live steam club around you. They will be able to help you alot more then I could.

That engine and boiler look neat!!! Wish I had them lol.

Hope that helped,
Chris

edit: I just googled Fenton MO. I see your close to St.Louis. I was there earlier this year. The wife wanted to see the horses, and of course I got to taste the beer :rofl: But anyway check with someone from St. Louis live steamers. http://www.stlouislivesteamers.org/ Someone there should be able to help, along with getting the boiler hydro/operational. And maybe even sold.

Last edited:
Tamper84,
Are you like me and travel to see tourist places far away, but rarely go to those near your home? I'm less than 5 minutes from the horses and free beer and only visited twice in 18 years. But I digress...

For anyone interested, I've now been told than a set-up like this would range $6,000-$9,000 depending on how well it ran, etc... and as Tapmer84 also mentioned, if the boiler was inspected and pressure tested.

I am certainly no expert but I would have guessed at $10K. I have seen these at antique shows for sale at that price.

"Billy G"

10grand ? holy smokes (so to speak) I was going to say maybe a grand or so. . . . im really out of touch with the world around me.

Holy crow! I am no expert, but I had no idea either! Wow!

Bernie

We have a large Antique Show in Farmington CT every year. Last year I watched as a gentleman wrote a check for $6500 for just a boiler that size. I almost chocked when he said he got off cheap.

"Billy G"

Yup, that steam sure is expensive!!!

And yes oldplanecollector, we travel far and dont see the stuff local. I think everyone does it....right???

Chris

Back