Help w/Phase Converter for My HLV

gdavila

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Greetings!
My name is Gary and other than my introduction, this is my first post. I'll do my best to follow forum etiquette, so please feel free to correct me as needed! Here goes:

I recently bought a nice Hardinge HLV from a friend that's downsizing his machine shop. It's 1 hp, 3 ph, 220v. It has 110v transformer that appears to power everything but the motor. I have been reading the forum to look for the best way to convert phase for my application. (A bit confusing) But, because of space limitations, I think I'd like use a VFD to accomplish the phase conversion for the motor only, and use the machine's variable speed control to control the speed.
Any suggestions as to sizing, brand, model would help me from having to re-invent the wheel. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, would someone educate me as to what is a forum tag?
Thanks!

Welcome aboard Gary!

In that HP range you have a lot of options. The GS2 and GS3 VFDs from Automation Direct are a good choice. If the HLV is mechanical speed control the GS2 VFD would work fine. Not the least cost, but good readable documentation and USA based support. There are a number of vendors on Ebay that sell less expensive VFDs but trying to translate the manual, if one is included, is sometimes difficult.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ts_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-11P0

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...S3_Drive_Units_(230_-z-_460_VAC_SLV)/GS3-21P0

On the other hand, you could ship the HLV to me, I would be happy to install a VFD, but it may require several years of testing in my shop just to make sure it's working properly.:grin:

Tags: You can add keywords to help the search engine find the posting. Normally not needed.

I've never used a VFD, from what I understand the load can't be switched. You'd loose the two speed motor function which in my opinion is very nice. A rotary phase converter might be a better option.

Greg

Welcome aboard Gary!

In that HP range you have a lot of options. The GS2 and GS3 VFDs from Automation Direct are a good choice. If the HLV is mechanical speed control the GS2 VFD would work fine. Not the least cost, but good readable documentation and USA based support. There are a number of vendors on Ebay that sell less expensive VFDs but trying to translate the manual, if one is included, is sometimes difficult.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ts_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-11P0

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...S3_Drive_Units_(230_-z-_460_VAC_SLV)/GS3-21P0

On the other hand, you could ship the HLV to me, I would be happy to install a VFD, but it may require several years of testing in my shop just to make sure it's working properly.:grin:

Tags: You can add keywords to help the search engine find the posting. Normally not needed.

Hi Jim!
Thanks for the quick reply. My HLV is 1954 by the serial# and is indeed mechanical speed control, I believe it's called a Worthington Drive. It has the hand crank on the motor door panel. Is there any advantage to the GS3 over the GS2? and would it be preferable to use one with more than a 1 hp rating?

I see you haver a Miller Syncrowave 250. Great machine, I miss the one I bought for our shop before I retired. I have a little Syncrowave 180 SD and so far it suits my needs.

I've never used a VFD, from what I understand the load can't be switched. You'd loose the two speed motor function which in my opinion is very nice. A rotary phase converter might be a better option.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it.

Greg just pointed out something, if your HLV has a 2 speed motor then things get a bit more complicated. You can not disconnect the motor from the drive, without completely shutting power down. In that case I would definitely go with a sensorless vector (GS3) VFD. You could run it at 60 Hz on the low speed windings, then kick it up to 90 or 120 Hz (depending on the number of poles) to run at the normal high speed. This is easily programmable and would just require a switch. Depending on the motor current, it might require a larger VFD.

Nothing wrong with going with a rotary phase converter either.

Yeah, I like my Syncrowave 250, it's been good to me for the last 30? years. It does need a tune up, never had any service, but not that much use either. There is a local guy at Airgas that is a genius at tuning these up, need to get it over to him one of these days.

Although it's a different animal, I recently completed a repower of my monarch 10ee, using one of the Chinese vf drives from eBay. I now have several machines powered by them, and so far (knock on wood) no issues. The monarch has a 5hp 3ph motor, speed control of the drive is a simple external speed pot, which I coupled to the original speed control knob so it has a 100% factory look. I absolutely love the ease of speed control this way, you could look into replacing the drum switch with a pot on your machine and run it the same way. For me, the cost savings of the huanyang drives are priority over the better customer service and manuals (although I don't find the manuals for these hard to decipher)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yours must be a twin to mine, apparently serial number 400 was 54 vintage as well.
I can't remember if all the taps for the two sets of windings are totally separate, I'm thinking one set might be tied together. In any case someone more electrical savvy can step in. You might be able to run two vfd's one for each winding and rewire the two speed switch to activate the units.

Greg

Hey Gary, welcome to the best site. We're helpful and friendly, now I'd build a RPC in fact I'm going to be as soon as I can get out, I'm in the process of pain relief with epidural shots , had two but may need up to five. Each one takes a months time it seems . So onward you will need a motor three phase larger then your total of the machines you have with three phase. Then a starting capacitor , a 220 volt contactor, encloser box to hold wiring and switches. A few 220 volt run capacitors . Ulma doctor on here has the plan and video on them. If you were close there's one on craigslist for $200. Set up for up to three horsepower. I think it would do for the lathe.

Hi Gary,
i live over the altamont in Tracy- i could build or show you how to build a RPC for your shop
i have the parts at home to make a bulletproof unit that will last you for many years to come :)

Back