Help w/Phase Converter for My HLV

Got to ask, does your HLV have a coolant pump as well? Some did. Running more than one motor off a VFD is also problematic.
My personal take is getting or building a RPC (rotary phase converter) to run the machine.
Yes, those had a Worthington drive, and they work well. So how ever you go about it, I would use the Worthington drive for speed control over trying to run a VFD for speed control. As far as the two speed motor if you lathe is so equip. If you are dead set on running a VFD you will need to turn off the VFD output before switching speeds from low to high or vise versa. Now if your lathe is wired like my DV-59 that will require you to hit the start button on the cabinet to re-energize the electrical system before the lathe will work again.
Getting into a full rewire to eliminate all that would be difficult but not impossible if you are familiar with industrial control circuits.
I know that the DV-59 I have actually has some fairly complex control circuits that run the motor drive for the Worthington Drive, the brake, and the coollant pump. Even though all of this is lever controlled on the Hardinge, the levers all mechanically control switches in the cabinet to actually route the power.

Wow guys! You've given me lots to think about. It sounds like the RPC may be the best route to go even though I was trying to stay as compact as possible. I need to check to see if the motor is in fact 2 speed. I just got the lathe moved into my garage/shop yesterday. Greg, my serial number is 555-3. Silver Bullet, thanks for the Craig's List lead. Keith, the HLV does have a coolant pump but I'm pretty sure it runs off the 110v control circuit.

Found this (link below) static phase converter on Ebay. I'm definitely a newby on the subject of phase conversation and I've read that using a static converter will reduce the motor output to some degree. Can this be addressed by proper/over sizing of the converter? These units seem very compact and inexpensive. To a degree, the compact size is more important than the low cost. And Mike, thanks for the generous offer to help me build an RPC. It may come to that lol!

ttp://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-1-3-Hp-Static-Phase-Converter-Mill-Lathe-Saw-USA-MADE-single-to-three-SCX03/191297077856?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Df203728c963045ab8d90043d418ef9d4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D281623703425

Hi Gary,
Static converters typically give 1/2 to 2/3 motor power and the phase relationship between outputs tends to wander a bit, so they work but a HLV deserves better! (It's a fine high-quality toolroom lathe and deserves respect)
A rotary should give full power and opens up possibilities when you go machine shopping in future (you will, believe me) as it'll provide 3-phase for your whole shop.
It doesn't need to be huge, size the motor in it about 50% larger than you think any purchase will need (e.g. if your biggest machine will be a 3HP mill, start from a 5HP 3-phase motor) and add some relays, caps and (if your the flashy type) meters and lamps.

Dave H. ( the other one)

I've been running my HLV on a Phase-a-matic phase converter for years. Absolutely 100% trouble free, reliable and butt-simple.

if you choose to use a static converter, you may wish to add a momentary switch to the 3rd leg of the converters' output.

the phase-a-matic is a potential relay type of static converter- the 3rd leg is connected to a potential relay and start capacitor.
Every time the voltage on the 3rd leg dips, the start capacitor is called into action by the potential relay and a huge DC charge is sent to the motor to bring the motor back up to speed.
the constant fluctuations in voltage can ask the potential relay to operate many times a minute, under load.
that's not the ideal situation for start capacitors- they like to be used relatively infrequently, they have very little heat dissipation capability.
the more frequently start capacitors are used, the earlier they fail.
when you add the momentary switch to the third leg, you effectively selectively remove the start cap from the circuit, increasing the life of the static converter

i had the start cap failure on a Phase-A-Matic 20 years ago, it led me to design my own static converter seen here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rpc-simple-design-unbalanced.12712/
i have 3 working units of different HP rating in my home shop, and 50 units in various garages and home shops around the country

I am also fairly new to HM forum, but I am enjoying reading all these posts. A wealth of info is available and everyone is friendly.
I ordered a Phase-a-matic for a 2 HP motor on a 15 x 48 Cincinnati lathe. The first one "fried" when I turned it on. Called the Phase-a-matic folks and they promptly sent me another one ( heavier duty). The only problems after that was it would sometimes surge at the higher speeds and I couldn't conviently reverse the motor.
Then I bought a Bridgeport mill that had a RPC with it. Used it for both machines for a while and had zero problems. Cincinnati lathe is no longer in my possession, (long story).
No experience with VFD so my vote goes to RPC. Seems to be less problematic all things considered.

I haven't used or even seen a phase converter for many years but I did use sometime ago from memory the RPC was a 5hp motor with a small singe phase motor connected by a clutch, to get it spinning. it was hooked up to, I think 3 x 3 phase motors, 2 hp each, and was able to run any two if them at the same time. The RPC also had a flywheel I'd guess about 10kg. I was told it was to help it start the other motors. It all seemed to work pretty well.

Back