Help Wanted - Hiring for Tech Support / Customer Service people at Precision Matthews

qualitymachinetools

Active User
H-M Supporter - Site Sponsor
Just as the title says, we are looking to add a few people to our team, and I want only the best of the best.

We have been interviewing people who have backgrounds as machinists, machine service people, electrical, etc. But I have not spoken with anyone new who really seems to have what I am looking for. We have a ton of customers who know us, but when it comes to hiring people in this area, it is not working. Its not the pay, hours, benefits, anything, that is all very competitive, we have many people wanting to work here for that, but they just did not have what I was looking for when I talked with them. Only one person has ever heard of us before the interview, no one else even bothered to look us up out of all the people I had talked with. But the job market is a whole different thing compared with the machine market, I get that.

So I figured why not try here, if people are already on this forum, they are here because of their own interest, so that in itself is a big help.

The positions we are looking to fill here involve tech and parts support for machines and accessories that we carry. But the hard part is, I need people who have GREAT customer service skills, friendly, attentive, organized, good at following up with people by phone and email. I would rather have someone who has only been a hobby machinist but loves it instead of someone with 30 years of machining under their belt and gripes about their job.

Must be local to us near Pittsburgh, PA, we have a few people off site but I need more people who are at our location and can walk out to the machines and parts stock if they need something.

If anyone is looking for a career change, or knows of anyone would may be interested, please have them send me a PM.

Yes, it probably be a welcome change for me, too. Unfortunately I'm pretty much married to Seattle at this point, as much as I would like to move closer to family.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Why don't you just move to California. I'm sure we could get you set up very well here.
I think you are looking for the right attributes. Not knowing anything about your company when undergoing an interview is just ludicrous.
I would also ask about Mister Pete and This Old Tony.
An actual PM customer (like so many of us) would be great.

I do like California, but I won't leave Pittsburgh. #1 reason is my parents are not getting any younger, they would never move, and I am sure they are going to need some help as they are getting up there in age. I travel a lot, but its nice when I am home to be 15 min. away in case they need me in a hurry. I was out in CA this spring and drove from Temecula out near where you are, some windy road through the mountains.
Some good ideas though!

Ya know , if my daughter would've gotten that job up at Duquesne I may have taken you up on the offer or at least thought about it . :cool:

DON'T come to California unless you like high taxes, high crime, poor roads and poor services. I grew up in the bay area and am leaving as soon as my kids are out of college. Used to be a great place to live. Can't leave fast enough now.

Good luck with your hiring. I have done my share of customer service. To be good at it you need to really care about the job.

Back