Help wanted solving a mill bed problem

I checked the table and that seemed fine. My determination is the problem lies with the vice,but Bill buying a new one is not an option.I will try to fix the problem and ronovate or try to renovate the old vice.

I would start at the swivel base. Check that and make sure it is flat and parallel. Then you can start putting it back together one piece at a time and check each piece as it is assembled.

I'll be the first to admit I didn't look closely at the vise, but it would be worth a look when you take the vise apart to check it to look at it closely. Even though there is a tilt to it, if I understand correctly, there are three pieces. The swivel, the tilt base and the tilt vise. It might still be possible to eliminate the swivel and bolt through the tilt base lock all the way to the table. Depending on if the problem is the swivel(which mine was) you might be able to eliminate some of the problem.

In order to make some new soft jaws for my shaper vise I had to use the vise without the old jaws in order to make the new jaws square/parallel. If that makes sense :)

Wreck Wreck's fix might be the quickest.

Here is the older vice I want to fix up.As you can see were it has been attacked by a large drill. I think it would be better than the swivel vice for sturdiness.
20180214_080550.jpg
20180214_080600.jpg
20180214_080754.jpg
20180214_080826.jpg
I had a look underneath the swivel this morning and I see now were most of the sturdiness went. Not a very good design I must say.
20180214_081049.jpg
20180214_081117.jpg
It only rest on 2 round points basically and been clamped with 2 square plates. I can't sell it,cause I need it,but I am going to try to make it a bit sturdier with some kindof fixtures.

SORRRRRY!!! my mistake,it rests on the curved aerias,otherwise how can it swivel.:laughing: wake up Michael :face slap:.

As far as that other vice. You can always fill in those drilled areas with JB Weld or some other metal filled epoxy. I have a small vice on my drill press that I did that to about 5 yrs ago and it is still holding up well. It would make a much sturdier vice and give you more room in the Z axis. Definitely worth fixing and will give you time to fix the other one.

I agree with you on that. Don't have much time to work on it now,I have too much work now,wich I am greatfull for.

Yea....I also did not realize that your vise is an angle vise plus a swivel vise. Personally, I would be very careful before you do any "permanent fix" to your mill just to make that vise properly trammed.
With a swivel and and angle...You just have too many variables in that set up. If you must use that vise...Then I agree with others who recommend shimming it to get everything trammed. Long term, I'd look for a good basic mill vise without a swivel and without the angle. As for as the vise you now have, just leave it under the bench until you need an angle vise. It's not like it won't ever come in handy.

Back